Welding help anyone?

sjo426

RE: Pics don

I have never welded before but would like to get a welder and start to learn. Any opinions on what would be a good affordable welder to start with. Would a class at a local junior college be worth the money and time?
Thanks for any input.

RE: The Story of Life

If you do a search, I know we had a real good thread on welders a while back........I'd search it myself, but I'm too busy reading right now....................maybe later I can help you out.

RE: Jeep Trailor???

In my opinion, a class at like a Community College would definatly be worth it. Yes, you can learn to weld just fine on your own, but in a class you'll learn stuff that might take you several years to even discover by doing it on your own. It will also give you someone to ask questions and get 'professional' opinions from...like which welders are good and which you should stay away from, for your specific usage.

If you do go that route, something like an Arc Welding class is the direction I would go in. Once you get that down, you can weld with any machine. It really teaches you how to control the puddle and the arc better than any other type of welding (besides welding with a torch, maybe). After you get that down, MIG, TIG, and all that other stuff is a piece of cake!

So yes, I'd say it's more than worth the time and money if you have a good school you can take the class at!!

There is a new gal in town!

Wire feed welders are fairly easy to learn with and versitile in that you can use them just about anywhere indoors or out by switching from gas to no gas with flux core wire. Most of them can penetrate 1/4 steel with no problem. The only ones I would stay away from are the Harbor Freight jobs, they are not that much cheaper than a Hobart (made by Miller) or a Lincoln and Horbart's warranty is one of the best in the business. The warranty is 5/3/1 where many parts are still covered up to 5 years!
Hobart has also become involved in our sport of off-roading and is supporting trail riding events, check out the link.

http://hobartultimateadventure.blogspot.com/

Just my two cents.......

RE: There is a new gal in town!

I got a clarke brand 220V MIG welder from a website called weldingdepot.com. (They had the best prices I found on the internet, and I looked around.) I had never welded before so I don't know the difference between the clarke and the more well known brands (miller, hobart, lincoln) but I like my clarke and it worked well for me. I have used it for both gas and flux core welding on my CJ and the welds are holding up fine so far. It also has an excellent warranty. (10 years for the transformer / rectifier.) Also, one of the warnings I got before buying it was to be careful because it would be hard to buy tips and other accessories for it because it wasn't one of the big 3 names. It turns out the lincoln tips fit it.

RE: There is a new gal in town!

I am a miller man, but lincoln and hobart are also good choices. class would be good, but practice makes perfect. go to the local scrap yard, get a bunch of scrap steel, and start laying some beads!

RE: Rear Brakes Leaking

While I have to admit that I did learn alot in the welding class that I took back in highschool, I'm not so quick to suggest that route to people anymore after thinking about my experiences. I did all stick welding in the highschool class, because TIG and MIG were second year subjects and I only took it in the 11th grade. A couple of years later, while working late at the shop one night, I asked our welder to show me how to TIG. He showed me how to set the machine, showed me how to hold the torch and filler, and sat me down in the seat and basically told me to teach myself. He came by a couple of times and told me whether it looked good or not, and that was it. That was the best welding lesson I have ever had. My negative attitude towards formal welding instruction is because while I was at machinist school, I took another welding class.....it was a joke to me at that point. I saw it as a bunch of wasted mind clutter that was cutting into time that would have been better spent laying beads. Time behind the mask is the only way to become a good welder. At this point, you just need someone to teach you the basics and get you started.

Junkpile, that's how my welding class was...which I guess is the reason I suggested to take a class. My class was 4 hours long, and the whole time the teacher would just be off doing his own thing. He simply said to show him every 3 welds, and then would have you keep working on the same type of weld until it was right. Sometimes, I would have to try a TON of times on something and I figured it must be impossible. Then after a while he would finally say 'hey, try this'...and then it would always get the weld right. It was those times that I learned the most...cause then you know exactly what your doing wrong, and exactly what you should do differently (and it's something you never forget after that!!).

Heck, on the very first day of the class, the teacher just told us where the machines where and how to set them up...but never even told us ANYTHING about how to weld. We had to learn even the basics on our own, which really helped.

I have also read about people hooking up a couple of car batteries on the trail to weld up something, if this is possible, why can't one just plug into the output post on your alternator and use it as a stick welder? If it's grounded on the frame, it shouldn't be a problem should it? Unless it takes such a long time that you're gonna go thorugh a tank and a half of gas.

that wouldn't work so well becuase you're limited to 12 volts and XX amps regardless of rpm. If you get a second alternator and remove the regulator, you will get more voltage as engine speed increases.

Back