Welders

avyoung

I am thinking about getting a welder and I am wondering what kind is good. I need something fairly cheep to start with. I figure I should get a cheep one to learn with. I am not sure which is better or easier. I was looking at Mig and Stick welders. I figure the stick welder is an arc but I am not sure.

Miller makes good welders, both mig and stick.
Both are arc, in that they use electric arcs between the electrode and welded metal.
Mig is easier for beginners in that there is no learning curve in striking the arc - just pull the trigger on the mig gun.
Stick, in my opinion is more versatile, since an AC\DC machine can use many different kinds of rods - steel, stainless, aluminum, and special rods for cast iron.
Mig welders can also, with the right attachments and gases, weld aluminum and stainless

!!yj cat.!!

What Snitty said. I've seen many jeepers start on that type of welder and put out good stuff. I've got some serious diff covers from one of them :twisted:

you really can't go wrong with a mig welder... its like a hot glue gun for metal... very easy to learn

I am partial to the miller brand (miller matic and blue ox to be specific) these are a bit expensive though. Look into lincoln welders and believe it or not craftsman makes some decent beginer welders at a reasonable price.

Get a 110 MIG with the bottle. It welds a lot better than flux core wire. The smaller Miller MIGS aren' too bad and have smaller guns which makes learning a little easier than picking up the gun on a 220. One day you may step up to the 220 because they penetrate better on thicker steel.

I have both a 220 miller and a 110 miller sidekick and I find the 110 to be much more tempermental. I find the wire speed harder to set. it does not seem as fluid as my 220. does anyone else have this issue? Also as red rooster said, the 110 will take some real work to get it to penetrate thicker steel. It will penetrate but will take some time and skill.

I was looking at the craftsman. My dad did a lot on the farm it must have been a stick welder, he just called it arc welding. I want to be able to do things like rockers maybe some bumpers. Then is I get good I may try other things.

If you run a different gauge wire than what your tips and wheels are set for, you may experience some varying wire speeds. Grinder dust can also get in there on the drive wheel and mess it up.
The 220 is definitley the way to go and if you can afford it, it is also easy to learn on. You need to get one that will take an argon bottle so that you are truly MIG welding instead of using flux core wire. There is less slag and spatter when using the argon.
The one thing that a MIG requires is a clean surface, whereas a stick will burn through paint, etc once the arc is struck.
My advice is to get someone to show you the ropes on each and then make your decision.

I perfer argon for stainless, and I like the 75%/25% argon-Co2 for iron, steal etc...
with aluminum My welders need a seperate gun wand with a self contained wire feed. The wire is too soft and kinks in the line. I don't have one of these cause they are mad expensive to fit my older welders with.

Jeep90 that is the one I was looking at. Let me know how it works.

me like alot......

do yourself a favor though if you get this welder, get some gas to go with it. i tried it with and without gas, and with the gas the bead laid soooo much better. i would recommend this welder if you are looking for a good and easy to use welder. sears also offers another gas-gasless mig for 299.99 with a cart and mask, but its not as good of a welder. sears couldnt even tell me the amperage on that one they just told me that it is not as good as the black one. go with the one that i got, and then go get yourself a mask because the one they include is a hunk of crap. when i opened the box and seen the included mask i immediately threw it in the trash. :roll:

good luck

often times, the mask is a promotional gimick... you can actually look through them and see a computer screen... that is not good....

and... if a welder is gasless... it is not MIG... it is simply a wire feed welder... dont' let anyone sell you a welder unless it is really a MIG welder

if you have a welder that can convert from gas to no gas that would be a true mig right?

89 Cherokee For Sale

MIG stands for "metal inert gas"... you use a wire (metal) as a filler after the material is burnt away... and CO2, argon, or 75/25 argon/CO2 mixture (inert gas) to keep the weld contained and clean.... if you are only using wire, it is simply a wire feed welder, not mig.... so... if you CAN hook gas up to the welder, it is a MIG welder, any mig welder can be used as a fluxcore wire feed welder... but it is suggested that the polarity of the clamp/gun are reversed.. in mig welding, you want the gun to be positive, and the clamp to be negative... in fluxcore welding, you want a negative gun, and a positive clamp

Back