Weber swap

ryanhoerger

I recently acquired an 85 CJ7 with the straight six. I decided to give up on the carter and go with a Weber 38. I am having a heck of a time with the vacuum hoses. I have found plenty of diagrams, but if anyone has any pictures or a video of how they have run their hoses it would be appreciated. Pics are coming soon.

you only need one to the distributor and one for the 4x4. well, and the one for the brake booster but thats a big one on the back of the manifold.

Cj's don't have a vacuum disconnect front axle so you just need the ones going to the distributor, brake booster, and the pcv valve.

I have done many Weber conversions, but I'm currently away from home so I don't have photos to post. I can send you photos Sunday is you would like? If your referring to a Weber 38/38 syncornis (spelling?), that is a lot of carb for a 258, but it can work.

Most importantly you'll need to reduce the fuel psi to a constant of 4-5 psi. A single feed with a quality regulator will work, but you may want to consider a return line utilizing a Holly regulator/ return valve. Weber are dependent on a high volume/ low pressure (but constant) fuel supply.

But back to your vacuum question. Your distributor will be connected to the base of the carb, it's a 5/16" hose barb (ported vacuum). On the adaptor supplied with the carb there should be a larger 3/8" hose barb (below the venturies, full vacuum), this will go to your PCV valve and of equipped your p/b booster. The other end of your PCV valve (the inlet/suction will start at the bottom inside of the air cleaner). Most of the time with a stock manifold setup, there will be a threaded brass fitting (bulkhead) just above your ERG valve on the intake manifold that is connected for vacuum to your various emissions controls, somethings the p/b booster is or can be connect here.

Hope this gets you on the right track..... keep us posted!

so I think I have it figured out. I have both hoses for the pcv valve hooked up. The bowl vent is also hooked up. I did not have a brake booster to hook up. I just capped the port for the vacuum advance for the distributor. I left the old line hooked up below the carb. It seems to be running fine. The question I have is about all the remaining vacuum hoses. Is there anything that I took off that I really need. I'm in Virginia with antique tags so I don't have emissions to worry about. I just don't want to damage my engine, but I guess if it's running fine everything should be ok.

I dont know anything about your carb, but know you will want the vacumn advance hooked up if you drive on the street.

Your vacuum advance needs to be "ported" at the base of the Weber carb body, not at the adapter plate. Otherwise you will not create the proper curve for acceleration.

Back