We now have a Jeepz.com CAT. that you can borrow for your in

bigTlilODD

So, if any of you need a cat before you inspection, let me know. You can borrow it, but you have to pay freight! LOL JK

So I decided that tonite was the night to remove the catalytic convertor, "to see if it was blocked"
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
So I cut the pipe at the front end, and at the muffler. They were both welded
image-missing.png
but a sawzall takes care of that. (mental note: return sawzall to rental place on way to work) I had a hard time removing that last bit of pipe that was inside the muffler, because of the interesting weld job that was done. So my friend Mr. Dremel helped me. He thinks he's funny and decided to throw a hot piece of metal down my shirt
image-missing.png
then tried to set my arm hair on fire, several times!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
I finally got that last piece out and fitted the "test pipe" into place. So i put everything back on and had no left over nuts or bolts (hmmm, must've done something wrong
image-missing.png
) I took it out for a spin around the block. OH MY!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
What a difference!!!! Too bad I need to put it back on.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

so if i were to cut out my cat and put a testpipe in, and then swap the cat in before emissions testing... how long would it take? you're just clamping the test pipe on i'm assuming...?[addsig]

Like the man said<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> OH MY! What a difference!!!! </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> what ever the work it takes it is worth the work to get the power that is wasted all up in that cat. Tug[addsig]

Yes, it's just clamped in. I think it shouldn't take more than a couple hours. It took me 4 hours, from putting it on the jackstands to dropping it, to remove the cat and put in the pipe. The hardest part was cutting the pipes. Plus I was doing it in a cramped garage and it was my first time and I wasn't sure what all needed to be done.[addsig]

but i mean, after the initial installation/removal project is done, how long will it take once i go to swap the cat back in? i mean, when the time comes to get it sniffed again, am i looking at a 10 minute swap project here?[addsig]

ok i was talking about doing this, and my friend who has an 02 1.8 turbo jetta wants to do it. his only concern is that its gonna sound like some sorta junky civic with a 9 inch tip. could anyone give me a description of the sound? i suppose that worst case scenario that since its still under warranty we could put the honeycomb back in and say it must have fallen out or something, but itd be easier if someone could just tell whether or not it sounds ricey.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>ok i was talking about doing this, and my friend who has an 02 1.8 turbo jetta wants to do it. his only concern is that its gonna sound like some sorta junky civic with a 9 inch tip. could anyone give me a description of the sound? i suppose that worst case scenario that since its still under warranty we could put the honeycomb back in and say it must have fallen out or something, but itd be easier if someone could just tell whether or not it sounds ricey.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

the sound on a 4-banger rice burner gets a little raspier, and with a little engine like that, they thrive on backpressure to make power. i wouldn't do it, especially kuz cops love to pull them over and hassle them. and if you think the dealer is gonna fall for the "it fell out" line, think again! lol[addsig]

this thing is the 1.8 litre turbo, its got the backpressure. but hes decided not to do it til i do. that little wussy
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back