Using Disconnects

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper

RE: TFI is it all it is cracked up to be?

I have never had disconnects before I got the lift, and have not "disconnected" them yet. Is there any tips you guys can offer to ease this procedure.....or do I just need a "learn this the hard way" lesson?
Do they have a "load" on them? (things go flying when I pull the pin )
Is it hard to get them hooked back up when leaving the trail?

Any foresight on this subject?

Thanks
Terry

RE: TFI is it all it is cracked up to be?

On my YJ they just pop right out, and I have a little piece of wood about 3" long and 1" square to help push em back in. Just make sure you are on level ground when you try to reconnect. It can also help to have a small pry bar to line up the holes.

RE: chop off

Being on level ground when disconnecting helps, the pins come out easier and there'll be less load on the swaybar. Park on level ground when reconnecting, and have a prybar handy.

Lifting on the bumper and standing on the bumper as the need be is a great help very often you will see what I mean! tug

yea i second what tub said, tj's need some help reconnecting so a hefty person to stand on or pick up the bumper is a good idea if you cant get to a perfectly flat spot

Girl doing jumping jacks

OK..UPDATE.
Went out to the creek today...was sitting level on the road....pulled the pins on the right side (had to wiggle them out but not bad) Then could not get the bar out from between the ends. I had layed a crowbar out yesterday afternoon to take along to pry with.....yeah it was still sitting on the deck!
Eased up on a slight slope hoping to articulate enough to get the bar out...not going to happen. Was by myself so I couldn't pull/push on bumper enough and still get in to retrieve bar. I got the bottom pin back in and finally found my EastWing Hammer and used it to pry the sway bar (few choice words going on it this point!) enough to get the other pin back in....wwhHHHEeeeeeeeeewwww
Will try again later but gonna practice in the driveway this time before going out.......

If they are tight, pull the pins and hit some uneven ground to get one side at a time off (low side). Spray with some lubricant or grease and you may want to lubricate the bushings on the swaybar where it mounts to the frame, it may go easier next time.

I carry a cotter pin removal tool to "spud" the holes where they need to be when reconnecting them.

Back