Upgraded from 5 to a 7 inch screen on the jlu

superj

The wife was complaining about that small 5 inch screen for backing up and wanted one of those huge 12 inch phoenix tablets installed. I was dead against that but i didnt mind going up to a larger stock screen.

So i have been kind of watching marketplace for a screen to show up and magically, one showed up 8 minutes from me.

I put the ad on watch because it was listed for 500. He lowered it to 450 after a bit but that was still a lot for a 7 inch screen.

No movement for a week on it so i messaged and asked if he had the anti theft code? I said if he didnt, would he take less? I geuss he googled it and read you needed that code to install in a different jeep because he said he didnt realize that was needed. He said he just helped his buddy swap an aftermarket radio into the daughter's jeep and that radio, and the control panel, had been in his garage for a year and he just wanted it out. He said make an offer.

I offered 200 since i might have to take it to the dealership to get it unlocked.

He said come get it, so we met and i grabbed the screen and control panel.

I went home and installed them really quickly and found out in three tries that it locks you for 30 mins without the correct code. I tried 6 times just typing stuff and got locked out twice and than called my youngest son and asked if he could fix it for me at work the next day. He said yes.

When you are locked out and have the 7 inch control panel mounted, you lose radio and ac. It turns out the control panel to the 7 inch screen wont work, at all, on a jeep that had a 5 inch screen originally. Well, it will work but not the ac control. My son took it to his work (he works at a local jeep dealer) and him and the foreman played with it after 5 and got it coded to our jeep and set all the options but still could not get the ac to come on. They thought they just missed something and stayed an extra 30 mins trying to figure it.

I messaged for him to just bring the jeep home and i would put the original control panel in and we would be fine, we only lose the volume knob but using the original control panel. It means you have to use the steering wheel control to change the volume, whoopty doo.

So he brings the jeep home and i swap in the original panel and everything is nice now. Way larger very nice color screen and ac works fine. Wife is happy and i didnt spend s ton of miney.

Attachments

• 20240710_184938.jpg
    20240710_184938.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 20240710_184954.jpg
    20240710_184954.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 20240711_193001.jpg
    20240711_193001.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Ok, got the ac panel that goes to the 7 inch screen to work using the tazer jl my son found in a jl someone traded in a few weeks back. Its the one i think i made a post about previously.

Anyways, you can go into the tazer menu and under options, find ac and change it to dual and the new panel works properly and the screen controls work too.

Attachments

• 20240713_113139.jpg
    20240713_113139.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Back