upgrade or just replace

69jeepcj

The rear end in my jeep is toast. Lost it the other night. So, it needs replaced or upgraded and im not sure which way to go. right now money is pretty tight, and it seems my options are: 1- Replace the axle with the same 2 piece axle early model dana 44, 2- get rid of the front and rear axles and get 76-86 cj off set amc 20 rear and 30 front, 3- get rid of my spicer18 t-case and get 76-86 model 20 tcase (I think my adapter for the 18 is the same bolt pattern as the dana20 tcase) with centered rear axle and front, 4- just swap front and rear wagie 44,s. Seems like other than swaping in the same axle im going to have to change spring mounts on the frame because the cj and waggie springs are wider, mine are only 1 3/4" wide. I personaly thing the waggie axles would be the best choice but also my be the most expensive so I don't know. what would you guys do in this situation? Thanks

Wider is better, and in this case I think late-model CJ axles or Waggy axles would be ideal. You may need to outboard the spring hangers on the frame to mount the wider front axle. If not the diff will likely be in the way of spring placement.

Yes I would have to outboard the front axle and that's why im not sure which way to go. obviously the cheapest route would be to replace the current axle with the same, but I really don't want to do that if I can upgrade to intermediate year cj axles or waggie 44,s axles for just a couple hundred more. I will have to do some searches and get a rough idea of what the cost of each would be as the final price will be a big determining factor.

I would just repair what you have and save up for what ever upgrade you want later. Gets the jeep on the road again with little down time. You get back on the trails sooner and can work on it when the weather gets nasty. if there is such a thing. Then try to sell your parts to help with the upgrade costs.

I believe going with the dana 44 from a 74-75 CJ will be a direct bolt in. You will have one piece axles as well. I had on in my old 74.

Isnt the 74-75 a centered diff.? If my adapter is indeed the same bolt pattern as the dana 20 tcase then I could just get both. The 71-72 cj had a off set 30 spline flanged axle 44 that would go with my 18 tcase, but good luck finding one around here. I looked on craigslist lastnight and found one set of early cj axles for 400.00, they were rebuilt for a project but never used, but are the same weak axles I have. I found a set of 76-86 axles for 350.00, but I don't know. decisions, decisions. Thanks for the input

Well going with the newer axles you can have disc brakes up front and there are more options with the newer axles as well. Better aftermarket support.

this is true. I found out that the 18 and 20 do share the same 6 bolt pattern, so I could switch to a centered rear diff I want. so Im on the hunt for 72-75 stock rear ends or waggie 44,s. Gota put rear wheel bearings in the car before I spend any money on the jeep.

not quite direct bolt in, my springs are only 1 3/4" wide and the later years are 2-something" wide.
I will have to swap spring mounts on the frame or just use my springs. I put a email in to my local 4x4 shop guy to see what he has laying around for axles and what he thought the best route would be to go. Im waiting to hear back from him. Thanks and Ill let ya know what he says and what I decide to do.

Right, 76 was when all the new changes took place. Here was the set-up on my 74. All was factory
AMC-304, T-18, model 20 t-case, dana 30 front pass. drop and centered dana 44 rear. Also had drums all the way around. Jeep had 35's. With the drums properly set up this thing stopped very well even on the highway. I was just throwing this out so you had a little info.

I appreciate it, It makes the search a little easier. wasn't sure which axles to go with but have a pretty good idea now. so my first choice will be the early 70,s stock axles (direct bolt in) second choice will be the waggie 44,s. thanks again.

Back