Transmission seems to be neutralizes (78 Jeep CJ-7)

Wildwolf498

A friend with a 2000 Chevy Silverado was stuck, so I decided to help him. I put the transmission on low gear and began to pull him. I pull him for about 150-200 yard. When I tried to put the transmission in neutral to remove the low gear, the jeep keep going forward like if it was in drive. In every gear except park, it move forward. eventually I pull down the gear shift all the way down and it stop moving forward. But know it wont move neither in reverse or drive, forward or back. If you know of a similar situation please let me know. Thank:?|

1978 Jeep CJ-7
Automatic Transmission
4wd Full Time

If you need anything else let me know.

Shifter linkage is hung or the transmission's valve body is clogged. Drop the pan, change the fluid and filter and try it again.
Don't quote me, but you will probably need about 10 quarts of transmission fluid.

Thanks RedRooster, So pretty much I should change the fluid and that should do it. About changing the fluid: Do you remove a bolt to drain it or do you just remove the pan?
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if that will do it for sure, but that's what I would try first.
There is no drain plug. You will have to remove the pan and it will all come pouring out at once, so be prepared. I have to take back what I said about the 10 quarts needed. If you change the oil from the pan, there will still be some residual fluid in the transmission and probably 2 quarts in the torque converter. Overall, I think the Turbo 400 holds about 12 quarts. There are B&M drain plug kits available at some auto parts stores. You will have to drill a hole in the pan to install it once you have the pan off. From then on, you can pull the drain plug instead of removing the entire pan.
There is an alternative to doing all the above. You can take it to Jiffy Lube. Most of them have a pump system that sucks out all the old fluid including the residual in the Torque Converter. Then they can pull the pan and replace the filter screen. Expect to pay about $180 for that though. I would hate to pay $180 for the fluid/filter change and then find out it needed to be rebuilt. I guess you just have to make that call.

Well I just finish replacing the filter and changing the fluid and still it won’t move. Any other suggestion, perhaps the transfer case? If anyone knows of a similar situation please help me, Thanks. :?|

Back