Transmission Install

JEEPCJXJ

I have an 82 CJ 7 and it has a T 4 in it now which is junk. so i got a T 18 what all needs to be done for the install. i have the drive shafts for the T 18 and it came out of a CJ 7. so what needs to be done to install it in mine and what kind of job will it be??

you need an adapter to mate the t-18 to the d300 unless you also have the dana20 t-case the t18 uses a bull gear and d300 uses a splined input shaft. there is one way to get around this, and that is to use a 1980 scout d300, they used the bull gear, but good luck finding one, and if they person selling the scout 300 knows what they have it should be well over $600.... but i did see a complete non-running 1980 scout for $500 once... im still kicking myself for not buying that...AA sells the t18 to 300 adapter....im sure novac do also...

I just did this install on my 83 Cj-7. You need to make sure the T-18 bolt pattern is the same as that on the bellhousing you are using. It probably is the same because a lot of them are interchangeable, but you need to check on that. Other than that, you need to install an adapter to the transmission so it will fit with you Dana 300 t-case. (I got mine from Advance Adapters ~$500, they don't give them away). Unless you've taken transmissions apart before, I recommend you bring the adapter and the transmission to a garage or a guy in town who'll put them together for you. The adapter requires taking apart the transmission, and installing a few pieces. Once that's done, it's really straight forward. Unbolt the old transmission, lower it. Jack up the new one, and bolt it in. It took me all weekend to do mine, but was pretty straight forward. Get a buddy to help you, and use a jack because the T-18 is a heavy mutha.

Back