transfer cases swap

1989XJfan

1996 zj with np249. going bad. whats a replacement that will bolt rigfht inn? or is the replceing it with another np249 the only route?

A 231 will bolt in once you swap the input shaft from the 249 to the 231. I've built many 231's to replace 249's and 247's. Google the swap and you will find many write-ups.

242 is a direct fit. Did a swap couple years back. Used same shifter and shafts. Make sure and check spline count before buying. My replacement came out of an early 90s XJ and was 23 spline.

242 is a direct fit. Did a swap couple years back. Used same shifter and shafts. Make sure and check spline count before buying. My replacement came out of an early 90s XJ and was 23 spline.
Not necessarily, even though the spline count is same it is likely that the input shaft will be a different length.

Guess I got lucky cause mine fit. ZJs also came with a 242 and that would be the first thing I'd look for. Bounty Hunter is right though, there are 2 different spine counts and 3 or 4 shaft lengths used on the 231, 242, 247 and 249.

Back