towing with my jeep

riverratba

i have a 2006 wrangler unlimited with the 4.0 and auto. transmission. i would like to tow my pontoon boat with it but i've read these transmissions are not the greatest. my boat is 21' with a 90hp four stroke. don't know how much it weighs. i would only be going about six miles with it and no major hills to pull over. the hardest pull would be up the ramp to get it out of the water. will i be ok? any suggestions?

You should be ok so as long as you dont exeed the tounge weight capacity. it might feel funny on the highway so just stay on the grandma lane and no abrupt turns..as far as the transmission is concerned, not the greatest? in comparrison to?. these transmissions on the New Wranglers has a pretty stout design compared to its predecessors. I havent seen any Catastrophic failures on the Wrangler transmissions due to towing or hardcore offroading yet. The only thing you need to be aware of is when your pulling out of the ramp, you might need to go on 4wd in case the tires looses traction.

thanks for the reply steelheadz, i'll take it easy with it! don't remember where i read that about the transmission, but anyway i guess you have to use some commom sense when towing with any vehicle

i think i'll be ok, just have to watch about overheating the transmission. if it don't feel right i'll just commandeer the wifes F150!

i tow a 15 foot trailer with 3 quads on it with my 89 xj with 35's on it tows just fine.. weighs roughly 2500 lbs. plus riding gear for 3.. i do have a 5spd though

Back