TOSSIN the EFI and going to a Carb.

KletusJeeps

Well fellas....After months of wire tracing and hours of putting this 6 cylinder stick in my 95 jeep after pulling my 4 cylinder auto.....I finally took her in to the only shop that would even look at it and they say it is a no go. They say all wiring was in vain and was doomed from the start because of some crazy "non-compatibility issues" .... So anyone want all that EFI, fuel rail, engine harness etc....from a 2002 Jeep Wrangler? in exchange I would love to have a good carb setup....

Tug what carb do you have on yours?

Anybody else running a carb unit that could recommend good parts and good parts places for all that I will need to convert this sucker over to a carb?

Why don't you go with the computer from the 02 engine? If you have to pass emissions I am sure you will have to stay with the EFI.

Bigger Gas Tank

well I know they inspect cars here in North Carolina but I am not sure if they have emissions tests...just moved here 2 weeks ago...and I didn't have to worry about that sort of thing in Oklahoma. And I have the 02 ECU in there...it passed testing and everything..this jeep hasn't been running since september when I started this project and I got tired of wireing so I called and only one person would take it and look at it and they dont want to touch it.

You might check your state laws... in some states it is illegal to swap an engine into a vehicle unless the new engine is the same model year or newer than the vehicle it's going into.

What exactly are the so called "compatibility issues"? I'm sure they could be taken care of...

-Nick :!:

You just need to find the right mechanic. It will work with the '02 'puter, harness, and engine.

hey Kletus,im in NC also. currently only 7 of our 100 counties do emissions. wake,durham,orange,mecklenburg,forsythe and a couple others. if you live in the country its highly unlikely,one of the main cities than probably have emissions. if you are anywhere near raleigh,talk to Lynn at four wheeling of raleigh...guy is extremely knowledgable on jeeps and has done me right every time ive gone there.

www.fourwheelingofraleigh.com

Don't give up hope. E-mail this guy at www.customefis.com and see if he can help you with the problem. If it is just wiring, he may be able to make you a harness. It's the same guy I used. Reasonable prices, too. He's like the Bill Gates of fuel injection.

Great idea getting rid of that stupid computer. Go for the carb!

I'd still like to hear what they think the so called "compatibility Problems" are... chances are they just weren't confident in working with automotive electrical... :roll:

I still can't understand why you'd want to jump backwards in technology?

Well I have checked into a few things and here is what I found.

They say the problems are a couple.

1) the key code sensor in my 95 is not there in the 02 it requires it
2) they say the ecu isn't getting the readings it needs from airbags, co2, etc that my 95 doesn't have
3) they said one other thing but I was so pissed after those two I stopped listening.

xjnick as far as why I would want to "Jump back in technology" ....well a few reasons.

1) it will get my jeep back up and running
2) it will be cheaper should anything go wrong with the carb. (if we fix the wire issues and something goes wrong they will charge out the rear to fix it because it is not really a stock item if you know what I mean and will take them longer to fix the issue with the carb it will not)
3) as far as all the advantages of having EFI ... better fuel economy is the only one that i care about and that one doesn't bother me too much because jeeps dont get great gas mileage as it is. The others like dependability, sensitivity, etc can all be resolved with a good carb and not a carter hunk of junk.

so that being said I only have 1 problem right now....finding an intake manifold for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 engine. This is only a problem because I do not know if a normal 89-94 jeep wrangler 4.0 jeep wrangler manifold will bolt up to a 2002 engine???? I am doing research on it now but if anyone knows the quick answer feel free to let me know.

Kletus

KletusJeeps said:
They say the problems are a couple.
1) the key code sensor in my 95 is not there in the 02 it requires it
2) they say the ecu isn't getting the readings it needs from airbags, co2, etc that my 95 doesn't have
3) they said one other thing but I was so pissed after those two I stopped listening.

NOTE: the following is based on my observations of Jeep's OBD-II computer system in my '97 TJ. It is true, some things could be different between a '97 and an '02 computer system, But I bet they're very similar. With that said...

1) I was not aware Jeep uses key code devices in Wranglers. If they do however, it is most likely a switch that when closed (by a proper ignition key), either sends a power signal (say 12v) to a relay that activates the PCM circuit, OR the PCM itself. If this were the case, you could for example get around it by supplying that input of the PCM with a 12v supply anytime the ignition switch is on. In the same manner the switch could be grounding a circuit instead of providing a power signal...

2a) The air bag system is basically a Stand-Alone system. It's only communication with the rest of the Jeep is through the CCD (data) bus. This bus appears to only be used for diagnostic info to be sent to the electronic Dash cluster OR the OBD-II datalink connection (for reading through a scanner). The only devices attached to this special bus are the air-bag modulke, PCM, Dash board, and data-link connector.
Being specific, It appears my '97 TJ's air-bag system only uses this bus for outputting information... also, the air-bag system can be disabled by pulling two fuses in the glove box fuse block....

2b) If by c02 you are referring to the down-stream Oxygen sensor, this could easily be taken care of by adding this sensor to the exhaust. The easiest method would probably be to weld a nut to the exhaust pipe that the sensor can screw into.

3) Don't be pissed off :p

Anyways.. I'm not trying to bug you... just wanted to inform you that there are always ways to make things work, and it sounds as though you could get this system to operate without too much extra work :mrgreen:

xjnick your not bugging me in the least little bit..and you make some very good points and I agree with you that this too could be overcome with a little extra work but at this point being without it since September and running low on time, money, and patience after everything I have put into it. I am ready to get rid of all this TJ ecu wire mess and go with something that will give me my jeep back, regroup, and then once I have built up enough time, money, and patience :lol: again I can have another crack at getting her MPI working correctly.

sacredgroove i would love to come wheelin with you all in raleigh ..i live in rocky mount but just moved here from Oklahoma in December so I would love too hook up with some jeepin buddies. shoot me a line at kletus@sbcglobal.net

Back