Took motor, transmission, and t case out finally

bryanjeep

Hey,
I finally took out the motor. Guys, I tried so damn hard to break that motor before I yanked it out. It did NOT happen. I drained all the oil and transmission fluid, and coolant and ran it for an hour. Did NOT break or lock up. I even ran the RPM's up really high.

So since that didnt work, I took the water hose and put about 4 gallons of water in the motor. I ran that for another hour reving really high. It didn't break. All it did was kind of throw up out of the valve cover breathers.

So the moral of the story is, a jeep motor cannot break with running no oil.

It was fun though taking it all out. It took about 4 hours.

Update on conversion:
Advance adapters stuff came in.

Here I treat my engine like I would treat my child (if I had one), and you put water in it?!? Well, to each his own... I assume you are dropping a new engine into your Jeep. .. Any plans for the old one? I am happy with my I-6, but maybe you could find a home for this 4-banger that won't quit...

Saurian said:
Here I treat my engine like I would treat my child (if I had one), and you put water in it?!? Well, to each his own... I assume you are dropping a new engine into your Jeep. .. Any plans for the old one? I am happy with my I-6, but maybe you could find a home for this 4-banger that won't quit...

If I was putting in a 350 to replace my 4 banger, I probably would have done the same. Haha, it would have been funny to drive it down to an oil change place with no oil in it, or with it filled with water :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Haha, it would have been funny to drive it down to an oil change place with no oil in it, or with it filled with water Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That would be hysterical... Reminiscent of the time where my Reliant was blowing oil smoke all over the engine compartment because of a misting leak, they wanted to know if it was going to catch on fire...

At any rate, good to know that Jeep engines are healthy creatures...

Hmmm, I just rembered a time when I got my Jeep stuck, under water. Come to think of it, I never had any trouble with it afterward, and I was in water over the hood, with the engine running. Maybe Jeep engines are water proof??

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Bounty, you ask why? Just because :lol:

Trust me nobody would want that POS of a motor, so I dumped it at the junk yard. I forgot to tell you, I even put a handful of rocks into the valve cover, and it didn't even do anything then.

I took the t case apart last night. Man was that a pain in the butt getting that front yoke nut off.

Impact with jumping on the wrench, beating the socket wrench with a 45 lb hammer, a little more jumping on the wrench, and lot of PB Blaster.

I am taking it apart to upgrade the input shaft and put in the SYE. Right now I am stuck on trying to get the planetary gear apart. :evil:

Good deal on a couple of project/part Cherokees

Upgrade the input shaft? You mean replace the main shaft with the SYE shaft? No need to take apart the planetary for that, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Just trying to help.

Yeah, I am upgrading from a 21 spline to a 23 spline. It is recommended with my setup. So that is why I have to take the gears apart.

bryanjeep said:
I drained all the oil and transmission fluid, and coolant and ran it for an hour.

So since that didnt work, I took the water hose and put about 4 gallons of water in the motor. I ran that for another hour reving really high. It didn't break.

I even put a handful of rocks into the valve cover, and it didn't even do anything then. .

That's insane - especially the fact that it kept running! :shock:

Too funny!

Keep us posted on the swap

Back