to many problems part one

XjShake

I will post part two in the technical area... it will be a list of problems.... I have a 89 xj 2 door that has been nothing but a problem.... is it worth it to keep pouring money into it or should I just count my losses and hopefully get another jeep in the future? I have replaced the steering column... master cylinder twice.... once when I put a 99 master cylinder and brake booster cause I couldn't stop.... I replaced the power steering pump and reservoir.... I replaced the transmission two days after I bought it.... both rear wheel cylinders both calipers.... pads and shoes 3 times... wheel bearings on both sides twice.... the steering column... I rewired the blinker system..... I had to replace the leaf spring on driver side....I have replaced every u joint on the thing..... I just changed the front pinion yoke.... I have owned my jeep for bout 7 months and driven it maybe a hundred miles due to it always being broke down.... I'm not anywhere near being rich and this is getting a bit ridiculous... I can't afford to be pouring money in this thing to not be able to drive it... I need something to drive back and fourth to work.... what works you guys do?.... I'm at a lose and needed to ventilate.... thanx for any input

I think that you are doing something drastically wrong,dont mean to hurt your feelings but your judgement on what needs to be changed and what dosnt need to be changed,needs to be addresed,changeing the brakes and wheel bearings a couple of times,and only driveing it a 100 miles! Tends to make me think that the problem isnt totally with the jeep. Before you do ANY more work or invest any more money .get at least 2 other opinions on what may need to be repaired. Ive done my share of ignorant fixs,so your not alone on makeing mistakes.

Well the first time I changed the brakes was because it needed it then one of the springs in the drums broke causing everything to come loose and get caught in between my drum and shoes ruining that set then the set stud came loose and ruined another set... I think my camber is off causing the wheel bearings to go out cause they just fell completely apart... but you are right... I have only done minor mechanical things until I got my jeep then I started getting more educated... I'm learning everything from either forums or a Hayes manual so some of it is my fault but not all of it is

The first one is from the inside of my jeep and the second is from inside the fender... who over owned it previously cut the doors off and then tried to weld them back on... he didn't do a very good job... I want to debit right... just don't have a game plan

Attachments

• imagejpeg_3_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_3_3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 161
  • imagejpeg_2_18.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_18.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 210

I have only done minor mechanical things until I got my jeep then I started getting more educated

I think this statement in itself is worth quite a bit. Replacing brake shoes multiple times isn't that bad if it teaches you to be better at troubleshooting (as long as you are doing it yourself, and not paying a mechanic). It's a running joke at the local Advanced Auto Parts that I'd rather do it three times wrong myself than pay someone else to do it (I've rented their ball joint puller 3 times so far). But that's OK, I learn some each time, and have a good time doing it.

You need to see the silver lining on the cloud... for instance, a broken driver side leaf spring means you need a new 4 inch lift all around :shades:

I think you bought a basket-case and should cut your losses. There are solid XJ's out there for not a lot of money.

Oklahoma... ima keep a eye out on Craigslist for a early 90s xj because I was told they are the easiest to swap... were you located?

i am in south south texas. like less then 3 hours form the bottom tip. if you have ever heard of south padre island and mustang island. those are the islands right by me.

the bridge to mustang island is a few streets over from me and i can walk to the end of the street and the bay is there.

sout padre island is about 2 hours from me but if you drive down the beach it still takes two hours but its cause you are doing only 20 mph. if you get the crossing at low tide, you can drive between the islands

if you are within driving of dallas or don't mind driving to san antonio, xj are always for sale in those towns for cheap

A couple of guys from work go partying sown there alot... I'm married so I'm over the party seen lol...

Sparks is a recreational park that host muddstock twice a year and a bunch of biker rallies... they only do Disney a couple times a year also because they drain a part of a river and let people rock crawl on the rocks

Wow, that is sweet that they drain the river.

Nah, I have never been past dallas in the central states. It takes 8 hours to get to dallas from here so I am to tired to drive much past there. I don't usually take trips anywhere other then to see my sister and brother or my parents

Back