TJ's w/V8's

jamesjones

How many of you guys/gals are TJ owners that have made the swap to V8's? Did you go Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Jeep? Auto or NV4500 transmission? Any tips for a fella that's about to embark in a money hungry project? [addsig]

The only problem with doing a Tj motor swap is that no one has made motor mounts for a V8 yet.If you have a 6 cyl, keep it.The 6 has got plenty of power.And if you want bigger tires,then lower the gears.Plus,with all that money you saved,you can make one heck of a jeep. Later :wink: Sully[addsig]

Actually there are a couple places that make the mounts. www.advanceadapters.com sells bolt-on and weld-in adapters for Chevy and Dodge V8's. My Wrangler has the puny 4banger (I bought it specifically for the swap) and I'm going to be running 35x12.5's on 15x12 or 15x14 rims. I live in San Diego so I need to be able to make those puppies move on the freeway as well as the desert.[addsig]

There are a few guys around here that have swapped in V8's . A buddy of min dropped a 305 :roll: just to see if the swap would work. He later dropped the 350 he's running now. He started out with the 4banger too and now it's a beast running 36's.[addsig]

Do they really have adapters for Tj's?I checked there not to long ago and they only had adapters for Yj's.Hey im from L.A.What size motor do you plan to put in???A 350,318,302???Hope you find what your looking for. :wink: Sully[addsig]

I went with the 318, only cuz of its reliability and inteligent design. I bought the block for $300 and put about $400 into redoing the heads and gaskets. It has been said that parts for these are hard to find, but i yanked tons out of old dodge pickups in junkyards. Only problem i had was the mounts, had to move em up about 3 or 4 inches on my cj7 cuz they bolt on way up front on the mopar block. Otherwise, no big deal. Haven't heard her run yet though...just mounted it on my frame (big restoration project)....i'm expecting a nice roar. Good luck....and remember, NO CAR LIKE A MOPAR!. [addsig]

Right now the plan is to swap in either a 5.3 Vortec or 5.7 LS1 w/ a NV4500 5Speed. I'm looking in to possibly try a New 5.7 Hemi but I'm pretty sure that's never been done before so it would cost bookoo dinero and I'm not the greatest mechanic so I'm not sure about the NV4500 mating up with it. What kind of axles/gears/shafts would you guys recommend for a 300 to 400 horsepower motor? Also I'm going to be putting a long arm suspension lift. What do you guys recommend? Right now I'm leaning towards the Skyjacker 8" Rock Ready but the Rockkrawler 7" looks pretty nice also.[addsig]

as they say at POR 606060606060 haha, go 44 front and 60 rear w/ atlas 2 if you got the cash[addsig]

Check out this site TRICKSFORTRUCKS Has all the info to install a 5.0 with np435 trans also with no adapters. in a YJ. Also check out Summit Racing after all Jeeps are custom just like race cars when we get done with them.[addsig]

Yeah I've seen that swap. Sweeeeeeeeet. That's a little much though. I've been looking around though and to stay Mopar might not be as bad as I thought. There's a company called KRC Performance krcperformance.com that builds some pretty stout 360's. I'm starting to lean towards staying Mopar due to the computer/smog issues.[addsig]

In the June issue of JP there is an article about putting a crysler V-8 into a TJ. You might want to check that out if youre gonna go ahead with the swap

TARSI[addsig]

;-) Believe me I've seen it and must have read it about 100 times. Over the last year or so I've scoured the internet and mags trying to decide the best way of doing this. I'm a firm believer of more planning equals less $ wasted. Thanks for the info though. Does anybody have any feedback on the long arm suspenion systems that are out now? I'll be doing the suspenion within the next few weeks and it's between the 8" Skyjacker RR, the 7" Rockkrawler, or the 7" Full Traction. Does anybody have one of these lifts or something similar? Let me know.

Thanks
James[addsig]

The web site is "tricksfortrucks" then go to jeep tech, then go to coolest jeep in town.[addsig]

I'll be doing the suspenion within the next few weeks and it's between the 8" Skyjacker RR, the 7" Rockkrawler, or the 7" Full Traction. Does anybody have one of these lifts or something similar? Let me know.

Thanks
James
ive read bout the rockkrawler lift and almost everyone said it was a rip off and the parts were of a very low quality, but i dont have one and that is what i have read, but i have read it in several places[addsig]

far right, I think that's the first time I've ever heard POR mentioned on jeepz.com, hehe :-O Now that's not a site for the light-hearted or thin-skinned :roll: [addsig]

Cool, thats good enough for me to take it out of the running. I had never heard of the company anyway. What is POR by the way? Just curious.[addsig]

POR is Paint Over Rust... its a really great chemical that allows you to prime metal without having to scrape away all of your rust... it reacts with rust to create a good primer[addsig]

I think he is talking about Pirates Off Road the website. I am a member there as well. The only thing bad about that site is if you ask a question that they think is not "hardcore" enough, they will flame the hell out of you.[addsig]

Back