TJ won't stop shakin'

indiemo

Well, after replacing the sway bar linkages, having it aligned, and getting the tires balanced, my TJ is still shaking like crazy if I hit a bump or go around a turn at 55 mph. It seems to happen more when I'm off the gas. Anyway, I checked the front track bar and it seems to be nice and tight. There's no visible excessive bushing wear. So I'm stumped. I jacked up the front end and yanked on every suspension component I saw to try and find something loose and found nothing. I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow to see what they can find. I just don't want to end up with a $600 ball joint job. Is there any way to tell if a ball joint is bad visually? I'm getting pretty tired of chasing this around. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

To check your joints

Jack up the tire just off the ground and try to shake it side to side with your hands.
One hand on the front of the tire one on the rear of the tire and try to shimmie it.

Mine used to do that at 50 mph and got worse as you let off the gas to try to slow out of the wobble. Try hitting the gass to drive out of it. (Much less scary)

I tried MANY things if you want a list lemme know.

Mine used to do that at 50 mph and got worse as you let off the gas to try to slow out of the wobble. Try hitting the gass to drive out of it. (Much less scary)
That's EXACTLY what mine is doing. Did you ever figure out what was the root of the problem?

the ROOT was the Balance. As soon as I put Tires on that were perfectly balanced it stopped. as in Tires off a new jeep. and soon as Mine went on that new Jeep it started wobbling. I went through ALL kinds of stuff and have finally gotten it down to so little wobble that I just live with it. and if it gets worse:

Out comes the Tape measure to check the Alighment and back to the Tire shop to test the balance.

well maybe i'll cancel my appt with the dealership and see if new tires do the trick. my wheels are on their way and i'm probably going to order some Kumho's as soon as I know when the wheels are getting here for sure. my tires are pretty old and i'm wondering if I don't have a broken belt or something.

What amount of lift do you have? Stock control arms or aftermarket?

I doubt it's the balljoints, unusual for them to wear out already in a TJ.

I have 2" of lift on my jeep. Everything else is stock in the suspension except for the swaybar disconnects.

Did you have an alignment after the lift? Too little caster will cause death wobble to rear it's ugly head.

The track bar should be really really tight, including the upper mount.

You may have to remove the control arms to see a bad bushing.

The previous owner put the lift on, so it's been on there for a couple of years now. I did just have an alignment done a couple weeks ago though. I couldn't get to the upper mount on the trackbar to check the nut. Plus it was wired with a crown nut so I figured it probably didn't loosen up. I did check the lower mount though and it was really tight. Over lunch I jacked up the front end and tried to wiggle the tires to check for anything loose in the front end. There wasn't any play in the front end, at least none that I could notice. So I don't know. I'm thinking I could very well have a broken belt or something in one of my tires. Would the shop necessarily noticed if that was teh case when I had the tires balanced? Because they didn't say anything to me about any broken belts when I had them balanced.

Look at your Weights that they put on there. If you notice like 70 grams of weight in one spot it means either the belt is shifted and they had to compensate or maybe the rim is warped somehow.

broke down and took it into the stealership. turns out it was the front u-joints. why didn't i check that myself? your guess is as good as mine. so it looks like they'll get to drain my pockets this time around. i'm pretty ripped that i didn't check that before taking it in. oh well, c'est la vie.

I'm throwing in the towel. My TJ is still shaking like crazy around 55 mph, especially when I'm slowing down (not necessarily on the brakes) from 60 or so. I've checked everything. The ujoints have been replaced, the track bar is tight, the lower control arms seem tight, the steering stablizer (albeit old) is a rancho, I've had the tires balanced, and I've had it aligned twice. I guess all that's left is the tires, but I'm doubtful that'll fix it. Any other suggestions?

Just an idea on my one xj I had the wobble I had the tires rebalanced with the weights put on the inside and outside of the wheel no more wobble. Check too see where your weights are.

Look inside the control arm bushings with a flashlight, chances are you'll see that the rubber is torn. Replace the control arms if the are.

Have somebody turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock, while you watch the upper end of the track bar. It will probably move slightly, and that's all it takes to cause the wobble. It will need replaced, can't be tightened.

I just checked out a buddies ZJ for DW and found both of these causes, they're pretty common. Let me know what you find.

first if you believe its your tires.. ask your local tire shop of a Jeep friend with the same size tires and swap them over and give it a test drive.

if that isnt the problem then I would servise the front diff. Drain the oil and check the pinion bearings. If alighment, balance and all the control arms are good then its inside your diff. A worn pinion bearing or bearing seat on the shaft could be your problem.
These bearings still will vibrate even though your not in 4 wheel drive.
Your front axles still turn since there not disconected at the hubs.
If you never played with your diff any axle servise shop will charge you very little to drain and have a quick look inside for very little money.

Trade it in and get something with leaf springs under it. them TJ just do not have a proper foundation under them. hehehehe I sure have heard alot about the shakes and wobbles over the past from them new fangled tj jeeps. Get yourself a good ol CJ or YJ and the ride will smooth out real good for you. tug

cool site!!!

well I watched the track bar as my roommate turned the wheel on my jeep. it does appear that the axle mount does move a little bit, probably, about a sixteenth to eighth of an inch. how much of this is just bushing compression and how much is unhealthy? also, is it possible just to buy a replacement bushing or would I need a whole new track bar?

You need the entire track bar. 1/8" of play will allow death wobble.

Take the steering wheel to full lock, then turn away from full lock 1/4 turn and back quickly. Watch the track bar upper mount when doing this and you'll likely see movement in the ball joint end of the track bar.

How's the control arm bushings look? If it's questionable, you'll have to remove the control arms one at a time and inspect them closely.

Back