TJ vs. The Mud Pit

RAVEN13xxx

Some friends and I went to do some wheelin today, but didn't get far. About the third mud hole we came across was fairly wide, but "looked" shallow. Well, it was until the 3 foot drop which the front of my Jeep found rather quickly. I ended up doing a nose dive into this big damn hole. I was OK till the motor died. I was buried in this thing up past the headlights, but not up to the air box (thank goodness). The distributor got wet, which cause me to stall. One of my friends pull up behind me in his YJ and attached a tow chain, but he ened up digging himself in. His clutch also got so wet that it wouldn't engage. NOW 2 of us are stuck. My other friend (with his 2wd F-150) tried to pull the YJ and ened up getting buried up to the axle and puncturing a tire. After 3 hours of waiting, 5 guys on 4 wheelers came by and helped push the F-150 out. The YJ started up and with a little help got free. Now my problem. It took all 5 guys, myself and the F-150 driver pushing while the YJ pulled from the rear. Remember, my distributor is under water so it won't start. We finally got my TJ free and up on dry land. I dried out the dis. and fired it right up. I checked the oil and there was some water in it, so I headed to the nearest place for an oil change, pinging and knocking the whole way. I was almost certain I lost the motor. As of now, everything is A-OK.

MORAL OF THIS STORY::::: Even if it means getting wet, check your path.[addsig]

if you would have hydro-locked your engine, you would have finally had a good excuse to drop that 350 in...haha, glad u got out
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I can't agree more....but it took me totaling a 6 month old YJ to find it out (sank it up past the windows) Always check before you attack, and know the trail or have someone with you who knows the trails. Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

That would have been a good excuse, but right now it's my daily driver. Can't afford to have it down to long.[addsig]

Ahh, I too have the fond memories of getting a TJ stuck headlight deep in mud. I had frost bite on all but two of my toes. Good times, good times.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

The only ones that never get into trouble are the ones that never try anything! Even with all the mess and time used getting free of the mess can I ask one question? Did You have any fun????? Glad you are up and running Tug[addsig]

so it stopped knocking and pinging and its ok? i thought if it knocked it was gone for good.?[addsig]

never been quite that bad off, burried the wheels once. isn't it the worst feelig thinking ull have to leave it there over night?[addsig]

After I got to Wal-Mart (the only place open) and got the oil changed, everything was fine. I think I blew the rear main seal out of it and maybe a P/S hose. I'm gonna take a close look at it this morning when I get to work and get it on a rack.

P.S. I would never even consider leaving my Jeep sit there overnight. When I got back there would nothing left of it. It would be stripped to the frame.[addsig]

The wife did that twice in her XJ, both times I was finding mud and sand in the strangest places for months. Clean-up is a $%&§, opened up the alternator, it looked like two salad bowls full of mud. Took two hand fulls of sand out of the brake drums, and about 3 pounds of mud out of the front axle housings. Gee ain´t mud fun.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

OK OK... I got it in and on the rack this morning. The oil was still a little milky, so changed it. The transmission started grinding going in the gears on the way to work, so I drain it (nothing but PURE WHITE MILK). Also drained the T-case (it still looked pretty good). Front and rear diffs are ok, no water. I sprayed the whole underside down with brake clean to clean it up a bit so I could find the leaks. I believe it's the front transmission seal leaking. I smell 75-90 whenever I open the hood. NOW if I can just get the swamp smell out of it. All the pushin and pullin threw out my alignment as well, but that's easy. I think I need to relocated all the vent tubes, rewaterproof the distributor, gat an electric fan, and put on the ABR snorkle that I've been putting off doing.[addsig]

Back