TJ Transmission Problem -> Bad Warranty Service

barlows

RE: Re: New guy

Hey guys,

I've got some transmission woes that I need some input on. My TJ has about 33K miles on it. It is now popping out of 5th gear under power. It won't do it all the time, but it happens once or twice a day. I took it in to the dealer, and they took two days to tell me that it's a problem with shifter adjustment, due to my (dealer installed) 2" body lift. When I asked why it would surface after more than 30K miles, they fed me some crap about the shifter wearing in and told me that they could make the adjustment...outside of warranty of course. I told them to forget it and came to pick up the Jeep.

When I got there, they hadn't even popped the shift boot to look at it. There is a full inch of clearance from the lever to the body when in 5th. I could tell they hadn't popped the boot because of the dirt that flew when I popped it off. :wink: Anyway, I think these guys are full of crap and trying to duck a real problem. It sure seems like a synchro or shift fork problem to me. Any other ideas what it might be? For the record, I changed the fluid at 28,500 and am now running MT90.

Also, I asked them for the number of the Chrysler service rep and they said they couldn't give that number out. I don't ever remember that being true. Am I off base, or is this an example of really bad service?

Thanks,
Steve

Prime example. Take it to a 5-star dealership or threaten to contact DC Customer Service (number on Jeep's website).

Sounds like a synchronizer problem to me. What year Jeep? What model transmission?

RE: Body work

Oops, I meant to include that. It's an 03. I guess that makes it an AX-15 right?

Thanks again,
Steve

Hey, I thought "Five Star" was just a gimmick. But I just looked at the website and I see that only about half of the dealers in my area are Five Star dealers, and NOT the one I had visited. Sounds like my path is clear cut from here. You guys rock.

Steve

RE: Links4Jeeps

Does that mean that I don't have the brass synchro gears like the AX15 did?

Back