TJ Hemi swap

Bone stock? When did they put a Hemi in a TJ from the factory? the Hemi is as much a factory swap as would be a 318/360; Both the Hemi and the traditional small block were OE stock, available from the factory in a Grand cherokee. so I dont see where the "bone stock" idea would be an advantage either way, there. Better mileage? (a) who buys a Jeep for mileage and (b) even if that were "the" concern, I have to say, "not necessarily" More power? Again; not necessarily.
Less oil leaks? Again; ditto answer. 318s and 360s can be made (as can the inline 6s) to have quite a bit of power--and torque which is really what you really need anyway.
Now had mopar come out with a 5.7 liter V8 that wasn't called a "Hemi", would there be as much interest in them. NO! there are more 4.7s out there than Hemis but I never hear of people wanting to swap them in! Availability wise, initial cost wise, I'd go 318/360, way before the Hemi. (unless I had one basically dropped in my lap)

I had a YJ (my only-ever 4 cyl powered anything that I have ever owned) that I had intentions of putting a 318 into (I had the engine already) until the wife decided that we didn't have enough "interior room" in the Wranglers, and started insisting that I sell one and we find something "bigger" so I now still have a Wrangler (97 TJ) and an 01 XJ, in place of that YJ.
personally I still wonder whether I should have kept the YJ instead of the TJ. Beyond the underpowered 2.5, there were things I liked better about that YJ than the TJ that I have had for going on 10 years now. (topic for another thread)

In fact that XJ is getting some miles onto it, and as long as the body holds up, I am still thinking of dropping a 318 into that body! (probably a '92+ "magnum" version)

Back