Tire question

Oldchief

My '05 TJ has Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar 33 12.5 15's with about 8k miles on them. They were on it when I bought the Jeep and I'm told they are very good and fairly expensive tires. My problem is the tread is so aggressive that they are so noisy that I can't hear the radio, my cell phone, a normal conversation or anything else when I'm running at highway speed. I don't need such an aggressive tread. Don't plan on major 'mudding', rock climbing or any of that. With my previous Jeeps I found that over sized normal tread tires worked fine in the sugar sand and beach sand we have here in Florida and for the mild off-roading that I will do. I don't mind the larger size tires, altho 31'swould be OK with me. Anyone got a recommendation on what I might look for to replace these noisy beasts?

Those are REALLY good tires. And as far as MT go, they are not THAT noisy... (try Super Swampers, and you'll know what I mean! It's like being in a WWII bomber when driving a highway speeds). Look, at the end of the day, everybody's Jeep has to fulfill a different role, as no one's needs are the same. If MT tires are not your cup of tea, I am sure you can sell your current tires on CL and get enough to buy the new ones. But just know that what you have is pretty good...

All great suggestions, I've had great luck with pro-comp xtreme AT on a pickup. As for tire size, the size will not increase or decrease the road noise, the tread design will. In regards to the size, probably won't make a difference to go to a 31, unless the axles were regeared very deep (for a 33" tire) then you wil be at very high RPM at normal highway speed. 99% of the time, the axles are not regeared as it is expensive and the majority of people only want the look and not the performance.

If he has the I6, I doubt the Jeep was regeared, so 31's will actually bring some power back. If he has the I4, and they regeared to 4.88, he'll be fine with 31's. I used to run this combo before I got my 33's on, and I actually had better MPG with 31's and 4.88 than with 31's and 4.10...

Thanks for all the replies. I have the 4.0ltr 6 engine and a 2" suspension lift. Power doesn't appear to be an issue. Had same engine in a Commanche a few years ago and power of it was fine for me. I'm thinking 31's as it would sit a little lower. I'll be 70 next year and not quite as limber you your younger guys, so a little lower is easier for me to drag my old butt in to. Don't think any regearing has been done as when I'm running 70 per GPS, speedo reads 63. Found a set of slightly used Michelin 31 10.5 15's on what appear to be decent wheels on CL, about 100 mi south of where I live and planning to run down there (Boynton Beach) to look at those Thursday evening. Will keep the 33's, in case my sons want to play with it in some more 'challenging' terrain than I plan on getting in.

Last edited:
Back