Tire Question

BigWag

I'm trying to see what the largest tire I can put on an otherwise stock 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. I tried a search on the boards here and I think I saw 31"s were about as big as I could go, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, would you recommend 15" or 17" rims?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am not sure on the tire size on the newer Jeeps but I can tell you that you should make SURE the wheel will fit before you buy. The brake caliper may be in the way if you try to change wheel size and backspacing. :shades:

31" tires are fine but will rub at wheel lock.You could shove 32" or even 33" tires under the fender flares but dont go off road with it unless you want a lot of rubbing.Personally I like a 15"x7" or 15"x8" rims.To stop the rubbing with the 31" tires you just need tire spacers or rims with more backspacing.

Thanks for the info. I'm really just looking at my options right now. I may end up just getting a lift for it. In the end I would like to run something in the 33-35 range and I know a lift is the only way there.

33-35 get your self a 4" lift if you want to wheel it with out rubbing.Going with that big of tire you will also want to look into re-gearing your axles.

31" tires are fine but will rub at wheel lock

only on the stock wheels.

As far as wheel size, 15's are more common so they'll be cheaper (which is good if you go off road a lot cause they will get scratched and bent).

Also with the smaller diameter wheel, you will have more sidewall on the tire, which will protect the wheels better, and allow for more flex in the sidewall when aired down.

My question is similar to BigWag's. I have an '03 Wrangler with stock alloy wheels with 31's on it. Can I go up to a 32" without too many problems? I don't take it off road.

My question is similar to BigWag's. I have an '03 Wrangler with stock alloy wheels with 31's on it. Can I go up to a 32" without too many problems? I don't take it off road.

If you dont take it off road you should be good,with the exception of having stock rims will get rubbing at wheel lock.

If you have after market rims you are good to go.

Just bought an 81 cj,came w/ 31's and did not rub.but just picked up 33's will let you know how that turns out.

If your doing much off roading keep in mind larger tires are not going to give you the flex without a lift. Good luck!

I ran 33 10 5 on my old tj with a one inch spacer in front. It rubbed off road but nothing on road. I put up with it off road lol.

only on the stock wheels.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the case. You could get 30" tires as an option on non-rubicon TJ's. Rubicon's came with 31" tires stock (but of course had different wheels (16" vs. 15"). Also if your TJ had the "off road" option you got Rubicon springs which actually give 1/2" of lift over TJ's not equipped with that option. I think it's possible to clear 31" tires on a stock TJ on stock rims without any rubbing (or at least with extremely minor rubbing).

Back