Tire Choices

SenorCole86

RE: Re: RE: Winches

This may belong in one of the tech forums, but I wanted as much input as possible.
I'm looking for a good 31" tire that provides good traction on many different surfaces and also comes in a good wide size. I'm moving up to Terre Haute this fall to attend RHIT so I figure I'll need some tires that'll do well in the snow and whatever else can be found in Indiana. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

How much road driving will the jeep see? How important to you are road manners?

You're going to be 20 minutes from Redbird SRA, I'm very jealous. That's a fun offroad park, I've been there a couple times.

That area doesn't see a ton of snow, so I wouldn't be set on a real wide tire. Narrow tires have more psi on contact patch so they'll get more traction in many situations, more personal preference than anything.

RE: Re: RE: Winches

That area doesn't see a ton of snow, so I wouldn't be set on a real wide tire. Narrow tires have more psi on contact patch so they'll get more traction in many situations, more personal preference than anything.
Ah, I didn't know that, I'm also trying to widen my stance, seeing as how my Jeep is a '80 so I lost on the widetrac axles. Do you think this is a good tradeoff? I will probably end up with two sets of tires and wheels, so road manners aren't too important but I'm not going to buy boggers. I'm on a budget.
You're going to be 20 minutes from Redbird SRA, I'm very jealous. That's a fun offroad park, I've been there a couple times.
:shock: :D :twisted:

RE: 4wd shift motor trouble shooting

You can get rims with less backspacing to give you the wider stance you're looking for.

I'd recommend Swamper TSL Radials if you want a good all-around tire for that area, they're nice in a 32"x10.5" size. If you're going to run a trail set of tires, I'd recommend the TSL/SX or any generic MT for that area. Stay away from the MT/R, but I guess you will since you don't want to spend much.

I looked up those tires and liked them, but I can only run up to 31" tires at stock height without rubbing when flexing, right? There was no 31x10.5, only 31x9.5. Is there a metric size equivalent to 31x10.5? I'm sorry, but I've no idea when it comes to reading metric sidewalls.

I wouldn't recommend the 31x9.5 TSL Radial as it's not as aggressive as the 32", the 31" has two solid tread bars that run the circumference of the tire, where the 32" has 1/4" grooves in the center tread bars.

What axle ratio do you have? What size tire are you running now?

RE: Top 4 SUVs in NHTSA Roll Over Tests.

If you are looking into swampers, check out their TRXUS MT. Great all around tire and priced right.

It also has more siping than other MT's, which is a plus for bad weather.

What axle ratio do you have? What size tire are you running now?

I have 3.07 gearing and am running 28" in the rear and about 30" in the front. Been a long time since I've been able to put it in 4wd because of this difference. Another reason why I need new tires.

I wouldn't recommend the 31x9.5 TSL Radial as it's not as aggressive as the 32", the 31" has two solid tread bars that run the circumference of the tire, where the 32" has 1/4" grooves in the center tread bars.

Would I be able to fit 32" tires? I don't wanna be rubbing at all.

You may want to get 31" since you want absolutely no rubbing. Check out that TrXus MT for an all-around radial, or the TSL or TSL/SX if you can live with a biasply.

I cant personally speak for the swamper fans but I have a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain in 31x10.5 and I love 'em. They have great road manners, low noise, Do good in wet conditions and I've heard (haven't had any yet) that they are great in snow. Their only downfall is that they arent a good in mud as the Wrangler MT/R. A great all-terrain tire.
Mike

RE: Buh Bye for a while!

The MT/R sucks in mud from what I've seen, so I hope the BFG AT isn't that bad.

RE: Upper clutch cover bolts?!?!

My MT/R's are better in mud than my BFG AT's were. I really can't say I have been disappointed with the MT/R's performance in mud, but they are definately overpriced.

FWIW those TRXUS tires that I mentioned are a true 31" ;)

Their only downfall is that they arent as good in mud as the Wrangler MT/R

That's about like saying "The bad thing about chopsticks is that they aren't as good for eating ice cream as a fork is" :lol:

J/K to the mT/R fans :wink: I'm putting the MT/R knockoffs made by Summit on the TJ.....so I don't have any room to poke fun.

Get super swamper SSR 31x10.50x15. Cheaper than bfg mud & mtr, and the best of those 3. speaking from my own experience. I perfer TSL/ IROK/ BOGGER. But forget about your mileage and wear.....

YJ Hardtop Black

swampers might break more axle shafts on 3.07 gearing, you might want to look at something with a less agressive tread depending on how you plan on driving.

SenorCole86 said:
what is the difference between 31x15.5 15LT and 31x10.5 15LTRWL?

31x15.5 15LT - 31x10.5 15LTRWL = 5RWL

I think that's correct but I'm a little rusty with the new math and all.

:wink:

SenorCole86 said:
what is the difference between 31x15.5 15LT and 31x10.5 15LTRWL?

The first one is 31" tall, 15.5" wide, and fits a 15" wheel. The LT means "light truck".

The second one is 31" tall, 10.5" wide, and fits a 15" wheel, the LTRWL means light truck, raised white letter.

15.5" is really wide for a 31. It would probably look ridiculous.

RE: My Little Girl

If you're looking for the best all round tire for on and off road, then go with the Yokohama Geolander Allterrains. My friends manage the largest tire distribution center in Western Canada and they swear by these tires. They have over $6 million worth of stock at any one time. They sell almost every name brand tire except Interco (super swamper) and have all the test results as well as customer comments/claims and these are by far the best all round tire out there. They have the absolute best on and off road handling in dry, wet, snow and icy conditions. I'll see if I can get any of the test results from them and post them if they'll give em to me.

Back