Tire Chains

sjlane

Thinking about buying a set of chains for the Jeep.

Anyone have suggestions on what works great and not so great. Basically want a set to put on when weather and road conditions are not the best.

Wish I had better advice for you... but I never paid much attention to the chains. I used to have a plow truck that I had chains on when the road were a rink. All I can say is pretty much any set of chins work. Best I can sey is get a set thats a good fit. We had one guy who had a loose set on his tires, broke off somehow and wrecked the side of his box.
Also, make sure your allowed to run them on the orad where you are. Up here we can't, I got pulled over for them more than once.

:D Well, I think I finally have an answer to the Question Do I need tire chains for my 89 YJ? Hell No!

I finally got a good taste of want a YJ could do with a 1" body lift and standard road/off road tires! It can do ALOT! WOW.

I live in PA about an 1 1/2 hours North-West of DC and Baltimore. We had about 40 inches of snow on the ground recently. I can simply say "I'm impressed with what a wrangler could do. I went through the snow like nothing was on the road. At a point, I was pushing snow with the front bumper.

I did find one draw back about my YJ though. My neighbor called me during the second snow storm and asked if I thought I could get Jeep out and come get him. He got his Chevy stuck and needed to get home. Needless to say, the Chevy did not make it home but my neighbor did that day.

So, my personal thoughts are: If I need chains to go out in it. I do not need to be in it. These Wranglers are awesome.

Last edited:
So, my personal thoughts are: If I need chains to go out in it. I do not need to be it. These Wranglers are awesome.

Yeah, the first times I drove Jeeps offroad and in snow/ice were enlightening to say the least. Jeep has an excellent 4WD system.

Working in the industry I'm in, a driver turned me on to a set of brand new LaGrande's. Spent a saturday afternoon cutting 'em down to my 32's and wha la. Did the same with the '77 CJ I had in the '80's ~ Unstoppable

We use chains in the thick goo called mud down here... They certainly work wonders when there's no traction whatsoever!

Being from SoCal I don't have frequent need for added traction control devices but while in Tennessee at during the Winter of 2008 I ordered a set of chains from TireChain.com. Even here in California there are times when road conditions warrant chains and the Highway Patrol requires them. I'm sure there were a lot of local sources but I didn't know the area and these guys website had tons of info, good prices and fast shipping.

For my needs, I settled on the long wearing 5.5mm Square Alloy Link type (not my tire in photo):
image-missing.png

They carry a bunch of different types depending on your needs, have a very informative chain comparison chart and outstanding customer service.

If you are interested in chains, they might be worth a look at Tire Chains by TireChains.com

Back