Thoughts on buying this jeep?

You missed a golden opportunity when I was in PA a few weeks ago. The sawzall definitely would have fit in my luggage.

I understand the point about buying stock and then modding but I'm also looking at it that I don't have much free time to put into modifying it right now and want to enjoy it right away. I'm going to have to be buyer aware at anything I look at for that reason I would say. I figure also that if I buy my first one and want to change something out or start from stock later, I can always sell what I have. As hard as it is to find what I want, should make easy to sell too I think.

so quick update, passing on the aforementioned jeep. didn't quite add up to what I was told. Am going this weekend to look at a '98 that a guy is selling. A bit more like what I want. Supposed to see it Sunday. Perhaps this is the one!

I'll have pics posted soon as I find something. Feeling pretty good about this one I'm going to see tomorrow. Only thing I don't quite like is that it has the standard rear transmission instead of the Dana 44 I think, but I'm not going to pass it up just over that. Right now it will be a daily driver for me, til I get time to really get under the hood and chassis and familiarize myself with more!

redrooster said:
You missed a golden opportunity when I was in PA a few weeks ago. The sawzall definitely would have fit in my luggage.
Nothing lost, we have two. One fringe bennie of moving here is that my father-in-law is with us. Between he and I we have almost every tool known (except welding equipt but it's coming). Many of which we have two ;)

H2oSki2Live said:
I'll have pics posted soon as I find something. Feeling pretty good about this one I'm going to see tomorrow. Only thing I don't quite like is that it has the standard rear transmission instead of the Dana 44 I think, but I'm not going to pass it up just over that. Right now it will be a daily driver for me, til I get time to really get under the hood and chassis and familiarize myself with more!

That's the rear axle (not transmission). The 44 is a real nice perk, but I would agree that it shouldn't keep you away from buying a good deal. Hopefully you'll find the one you want soon, and like mentioned earlier, we want pics!

So quick update, while I want the 6-cyl, not going to make this my daily driver, so the wife has weighed in and I am stepping back from the 6-cyl to considering 4-cyl manuals. Figure get into one now, can always buy more later. That said, reevaluating what is on the market at a lower cost. So here I go again!

Hmmm. The Mrs. put a price cap on it, eh? Well that's understandable, and also workable. If it's not going to be a daily driver, why not consider a YJ??? The 91's through 95's had the same 4.0L Inline 6 cyl engines available in them. They ride stiffer (leaf springs vs the TJ's coils) but some folks actually prefer them (like me). YOu could get into one of them with the 6 for less $$$ than many 4 banger TJ's.

Something to ponder anyhow...

Yep, the Mrs. put a price cap on my "toy" as she sees it. I drive an older car, but not ready to replace it with something new because it has no problems. To me makes sense to buy a newer jeep, but hey, no worries.

I am considering that actually, about the YJ as an option. Now just trying to see what is out there. I found a 93 near me that looks to be in good shape, 123k miles, asking 4500 but states negotiable. Would have to be quite negotiable I think for me to consider, but might be worth a look. Anything specifically to stay away from if I go with a YJ?

H2oSki2Live said:
Yep, the Mrs. put a price cap on my "toy" as she sees it. I drive an older car, but not ready to replace it with something new because it has no problems. To me makes sense to buy a newer jeep, but hey, no worries.

I am considering that actually, about the YJ as an option. Now just trying to see what is out there. I found a 93 near me that looks to be in good shape, 123k miles, asking 4500 but states negotiable. Would have to be quite negotiable I think for me to consider, but might be worth a look. Anything specifically to stay away from if I go with a YJ?
Well the 1987 thru 1990's came with the older 4.2L engines and were carbed (not fuel injection).

The earlier ones (87-90) had great engines, but the stock carbs were junk. If you found one in good shape and it has the factory carb you may want to factor a new carb into the price. the 87- mid 90's 6 cyl's with 5 speeds had the less reliable BA10/5 transmissions.

A '91 through '95 would be less problematic and will eliminate all the issues I wrote about above.

She's HOME!!!! I found her today. '95 Wrangler Rio Grande. 4-banger, 106k miles, manual. Needs a bit of work on the interior, but only to make it how I want it. Dash is in excellent condition (need to put in a radio) and need to install a back seat. Exterior is in good shape. Found it down in Atlanta for $4,400. Just got her back home!!!!

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/6/30/204/358/656797035.204358365.IM1.03.565x421_A.565x377.jpg
image-missing.png

HEY! Nice looking YJ you got there! Hard top, hard doors, looks clean, and low miles... it looks like you got a hell of a deal!

Now go get some mud on it ;)

Oh, and by the way...

I would change the transmission fluid if I were you. There was an error in many service manuals and even the owner's manual stating GL5 as the correct transmission oil for those Jeeps. That was bad info, as GL5 is corrosive to the brass synchronizers in the AX5 and AX 15 manual 5 speeds.

Just to play it safe, either put in a synthetic like Redline MT90, Pennziol Synchromesh, or get some GL3 from a Jeep dealer. If it by chance has GL5 in it, it will ruin your transmission. Not trying to scare you, but better be safe than sorry. It will only take you a half hour to change the transmission oil.

Thanks for that advice. First thing I did when I got home was wash and wax it then changed the oil and put in synthetic. I'll check into changing out the transmission fluid as well. Never done that before. Any place online that is good to consult on the steps to performing it? Sure that it's not that hard.

And yes, I too think I got a good deal. While test driving it today I stopped by another '95 that was advertised for sale, similar miles. Had a lift kit on it and new tires, but was also a 4-banger. The guy came out and tried to sell me his instead, but when he told me $7,500, and it had a soft top on it, well I knew just how good a deal I was sitting in.

I'm anxious to get the hard top off as well though, see how she drives without all that extra weight. It's going to be fun to mod her out slowly on my own!!!!

H2oSki2Live said:
She's HOME!!!! I found her today. '95 Wrangler Rio Grande. 4-banger, 106k miles, manual. Needs a bit of work on the interior, but only to make it how I want it. Dash is in excellent condition (need to put in a radio) and need to install a back seat. Exterior is in good shape. Found it down in Atlanta for $4,400. Just got her back home!!!!

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/6/30/204/358/656797035.204358365.IM1.03.565x421_A.565x377.jpg
image-missing.png

Dude!!! That is one great lookin' Jeep for the miles and price!!!!! Good job!! Pays to shop around, huh?8)

Thanks all! And yes, does pay to shop around. The 4-cyl is a bit weak, but for now it suits me fine. I'm thinking I'll drive it for a while and then if I want to hang onto it, look into putting a stronger engine in it. Til then, need to get a new rear seat so my kids can ride around with me, and put in a console then a radio and sound bar. Looking forward to working on it myself, as well as getting out to play in it!

Search Jeepz and 4bangersunited for some cheap mods to get a little more out of your 2.5L. It might just surprise you how good they'll run, especially with 30" or smaller tires.

Back