The difference between Law and Justice.

mingez

Here's a story that'll just make you punch a wall, and want to force Georgia out of the union...

There is indeed a difference between Law and Justice!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson

Outrageous Injustice
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- There is a cardboard box in Genarlow Wilson's old bedroom.

The Bernstein Firm
Despite lacking size, overachieving Genarlow Wilson was being recruited by several college football programs.

It rests on the floor of his empty closet, near the deflated football and basketball. It's filled with things he needed in his old life. Mostly, it's overflowing with recruiting letters, from schools big and small. A "Good luck on the SAT" postcard from the coaches at Columbia. From another Ivy League college, Brown, a note from the football coach: "You have been recommended to me as one of the top scholar-athletes in your area."

There's a questionnaire from the Citadel. A brochure from Elon. An envelope from Sewanee. College after college, all wanting the undersized but overachieving Genarlow Wilson to consider their football programs. One open letter, dated three months before everything in this box became a reminder of a life derailed, invites him to take a campus visit. It begins:

Dear Genarlow,

Here you stand, on the threshold of four of the most influential, challenging, and rewarding years of your life.

Being Inmate No. 1187055
Genarlow Wilson is standing on a threshold all right, at the end of the last hall of Burruss Correctional Training Center, an hour and a half south of Atlanta. He's just a few feet from the mechanical door that closes with a goosebump-raising whurr and clang. Three and a half years after he received that letter, he's wearing a blue jacket with big, white block letters. They read: STATE PRISONER.

He's 20 now. Just two years into a 10-year sentence without possibility of parole, he peers through the thick glass and bars, trying to catch a glimpse of freedom. Outside, guard towers and rolls of coiled barbed wire remind him of who he is.
Video
Genarlow Wilson explains why he wouldn't take a plea bargain. Watch

Video courtesy of ABCNews Primetime live. Stay tuned to ABC News for updates on this story.

Once, he was the homecoming king at Douglas County High. Now he's Georgia inmate No. 1187055, convicted of aggravated child molestation.

When he was a senior in high school, he received oral sex from a 10th grader. He was 17. She was 15. Everyone, including the girl and the prosecution, agreed she initiated the act. But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex.

Afterward, the state legislature changed the law to include an oral sex clause, but that doesn't help Wilson. In yet another baffling twist, the law was written to not apply to cases retroactively, though another legislative solution might be in the works. The case has drawn national condemnation, from the "Free Genarlow Wilson Now" editorial in The New York Times to a feature on Mark Cuban's HDNet.

"It's disgusting," Cuban wrote to ESPN in an e-mail. "I can not see any way, shape or form that the interests of the state of Georgia are served by throwing away Genarlow's youth and opportunity to become a vibrant contributor to the state. All his situation does is reinforce some unfortunate stereotypes that the state is backward and misgoverned. No one with a conscience can look at this case and conclude that justice has been served."

Story continued here.

Yeah that's pretty screwed up, all those statutory sex crime laws when its under-ager with an under-ager (of the approximate same age) are screwed up; and nearly every state has them. Then you get overzealous morally bankrupt prosecutors involved (like in the Duke case) and real bad things happen to people who had a minor error in judgment. But the serial wife beater and violent felon will be out on parole within 2 or 3.

So what does Tom Cruise have to say about all this?

In all seriousness, it's messed up. I can't believe that's even a law since they're both under 18...

Heck yeah I'm joining the petition

Last edited:
Did she get in any trouble? She had sex with a minor as well.

I'm not going to get into a debate, but I will say that the legal system in this country does everything to protect the female and everything to assess blame and responsibility to the male.

Last edited:
Its tragic that they hammered the kid like that. UNder the facts of the case..... he should not have gotteneven nearly as much time. Did the girl retract her rape claim? If so the case shouldn't have evn seen court and she should have been charged for false report.

Its tragic that they hammered the kid like that. UNder the facts of the case..... he should not have gotteneven nearly as much time. Did the girl retract her rape claim? If so the case shouldn't have evn seen court and she should have been charged for false report.

Yeah, by all logical accounts most rational humans would agree. However, the laws of the land, Georgia, don't reflect that logic.

When he was a senior in high school, he received oral sex from a 10th grader. He was 17. She was 15. Everyone, including the girl and the prosecution, agreed she initiated the act. But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex.

Afterward, the state legislature changed the law to include an oral sex clause, but that doesn't help Wilson. In yet another baffling twist, the law was written to not apply to cases retroactively, though another legislative solution might be in the works. The case has drawn national condemnation, from the "Free Genarlow Wilson Now" editorial in The New York Times to a feature on Mark Cuban's HDNet.

mingez said:
However, the laws of the land, Georgia, don't reflect that logic.

Laws are based upon logic, statutory codes and bylaws are not. That "law" is a statutory code. Of course there's no logic, its just black and white words that people think have to stay black and white. It is ridiculous

Georgia is not the only state with antiquated laws. I lived in South Carolina a few years back and they still have a law on the books that states inter-racial marriages are illegal.

There's quite a few states with that stuff in the books. Rarely are they enforced to this degree.

When I was going thru academy, we covered the MD criminal law book, cover to cover. Its also against the law to do what he did, as well as same sex intercourse. Alot of gay people are technically committing crimes. Its also illegal to spit at a railroad track. ????? Wonder how old that one is?

When I was going thru academy, we covered the MD criminal law book, cover to cover. Its also against the law to do what he did, as well as same sex intercourse. Alot of gay people are technically committing crimes. Its also illegal to spit at a railroad track. ????? Wonder how old that one is?

§ 553, 554. Sodomy. both were repealed by Acts 2002, ch. 26, § 1, effective October 1, 2002 thereby making oral sex legal.

Spitting on the rail tracks is from... Title 7. Mass Transit § 7-705

(b) Prohibited acts enumerated.- It is unlawful for any person to engage in any of the following acts in any transit vehicle or transit facility, designed for the boarding of a transit vehicle, which is owned or controlled by the Administration or a train owned or controlled by the Administration or operated by a railroad company under contract to the Administration to provide passenger railroad service:

(1) Expectorate;

LOL, just remember "ignorance of the law does not preclude you from it." I love that blind dogma!

§ 553, 554. Sodomy. both were repealed by Acts 2002, ch. 26, § 1, effective October 1, 2002 thereby making oral sex legal.

Spitting on the rail tracks is from... Title 7. Mass Transit § 7-705

(b) Prohibited acts enumerated.- It is unlawful for any person to engage in any of the following acts in any transit vehicle or transit facility, designed for the boarding of a transit vehicle, which is owned or controlled by the Administration or a train owned or controlled by the Administration or operated by a railroad company under contract to the Administration to provide passenger railroad service:

(1) Expectorate;

I'm thinking that law is to keep some schmuck from hacking up and spitting a loogey on the train platform or on a train.

I'm thinking that law is to keep some schmuck from hacking up and spitting a loogey on the train platform or on a train.
Is that how you spell "loogey?" I don't think I've ever seen that word in writing. LOL.

Is that how you spell "loogey?" I don't think I've ever seen that word in writing. LOL.
I dunno...

It seemed the most "unlikely to mispronounce" way to spell it, and the "ey" ending seemed more masculine then "ie".

So can we make it official? LOOGEY

(right click, add to dictionary ;) )

It's loogie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucus

A "loogie" is a slang expression used in North America to refer to a mass of sputum that is ejected from the mouth after being expelled from the throat of a person with nasal congestion. The expression "hocking a loogie" refers to expelling the phlegm in an obviously noisy manner involving violent vibrations of the glottis, producing a low, guttural, rumbling sound. "Hock" (alternate spelling "hawk") is derived from the archaic word "hough," pronounced the same way, meaning to clear one's throat. The word "loogie" arose as early as 1970, and appears to be a conjunction of the older slang "lung-er" (meaning an expectoration or a tuberculosis patient) and the word "booger" or "boogie." This practice may have other names in other countries and within the medical community. In the UK, the mass can be referred to as a 'flob', a portmanteau of the phonetic pronunciation of phlegm and 'gob', a slang term for saliva.

"The first time the Supreme Court voted on Genarlow's case, it was 4-3. The four judges who voted against the black teen were white. The three judges who voted for him were black."

Being Georgia, I figured it was something like that. In fact, after first perusing this thread, my first thought was...."that poor kid's black".

Something else this country needs to work on (or, AT LEAST, Georgia!)

Back