Teenagers You Got To Love Em!

Tug-n-pull

Ranger4x4 or Will as the ones that love him and know him know him made a had a great learning experence couple of weeks ago. PASmokeater and I took him and Afton to the woods on a ride. Will was easyly talked into trying a big ol mud hole where he did get stuck. We knowing he would did hoop and holler a bit and then we did pull him backwards out of the hole. After the retreavel he was unable to motovate.

He was belly up no way to get his ride into gear and go. Put that puppy in gear and give her gas drop the clutch and nothing. We ask are you in 4lo 4hi or 2 hi, 4 wd lo he said. Are you sure? yes. Check it out make sure? I did! are you sure? He says cut me some slack here ok. I did we pulled him over the up hills and coasted down the down hills. I tell him sounds like something very simple like a linkage or something very simple! Lets have Jerry have a look at it!

All the way to cizilation where we did get a Auto trailer and pull his silly self home. I say will lets take it to Jerrys auto "Who does most of my work that I can not" No we will take it apart and fix it. who will I say? Me and my budies will! OK it is your world man I just live in it!

Out comes the drive line as It is the clutch! I ask did you smell anything to make you think the clutch is bad? No! I grin and say I see. What makes you think it is the clutch? Well Eddie takes auto tech and he says! I say Oh ok!

Next day! The clutch is fine it looks pretty new in fact! well I say what now. Well eddie seems to think the transmission is shot I guess I will have to go look for one in the junk yards. I see I say! Did you hear anything make a lound noise or was it grinding off the mountain or anything like that? Well no he says why? I was just wondering son never mind! He says well the input shaft just spins freely so the transmission has to be bad. Ok son!

Well we were talking to Jerry from Jerrys About it and he says sounds more like a Transfer than a transmission to me, I agreed and we come home. Will are you sure you put it in to 4x4 lo up there well yes I did he says. I say oh I see. We grab the linkage and give her a jerk and what do you know the shaft turns only under a load now and the drive shafts turn as well.

So now we find that the linkage was knocked loose most likely by an under water limb or rock or something and all this time he was just simply in nutural out of gear. Moral of the story None really just that something simple can go wrong in the woods to make you whole two weeks stink. Good from this story Will knows a bunch about his truck that he did not know befor. I learned to get in and check out stuff for myself not take his or any one elses word for it.

Sorry to have rambled so much just thought this was kind of funny. So we are going to spend this day putting his drive line back where it goes with new U joints and throw out bearings. All better for it! tug

No more stock Jeep!

LOL that is too funny!
We have a saying in the machine shop world...trust nothing/ check every thing.
A simple check and the problem would have been found. But I guess this is a lesson that Will will not forget.

One of my old bosses, favorite sayings, to assume, is to make an Ass out of U and Me.
Always telling my son, to double check and check again. Guess some things, you just gotta learn the hard way.
My son was telling me a story, about most of an apartement block, where his buddy installed the waste lines. Seems they forgot to tighten, all of the band locks on the waste pipe, nobody noticed untill the new residents started flushing. I just looked at him and grinned.

That's pretty funny! Sometimes I think my oldest should have a shirt or a hat that says "I Know!".
-TC

Back