technical advice for a '94

JeepGirl

1. My baby's oil seems to run halfway between normal and hot, espically when i first start it up. After running it for a while, it goes closer to normal but not all the way. The engine temp and battery are smack on normal. What can I do to bring the oil temp back to normal?

2. The gears from the 4x4 transmission seem to rattle. It sounds like they are timed when you would change gears on a standard (my car is auto). And after 45-40 it rattles constantly. Is there somethign wrong with my 4x4 gears or transmission?

3. My yj seems to loose power going up hills and has a constant rattling while idle. I'm assuming its my cat, but would I need to change my o2 filter when i swap it out?[addsig]

1. The oil guage you are referring to is not the oil temperature but the oil pressure...it is common for it to fluctuate based on engine speed and temperature. If I am guessing that you are referring to "normal" as the center of the guage, on my 95YJ that is 40psi. Your oil pressure will be a bit higher when you first start up because the oil is cold and is harder to push throughout the engine so it will be a little higher. Once the engine heats up the pressure will drop a little because the oil is hotter and a bit thinner. 50-60psi is normal oil pressure range I believe.

2. I'm not really sure about the Tcase rattling. From my experience all jeeps have a rattle here or there at one point or another. Worst case scenario your transfer case chain could have stretched...causing it to be noisy. This is rare unless you do ALOT of heavy 4wd wheeling or have abused your 4wd (using it on dry pavement, etc...).

3. I know that rattle hahaha. It more than likely is your catalytic converter. It will need to be replaced to stop the rattling. The o2 sensor will not need to be changed unless it is faulty.[addsig]

I figured that I would have to replace the cat, they're pretty cheap anyways.

As far as the rattling, I was told that the previous owner used to tow with it. My jeep is a 4-banger and I, myself, woudlnt feel comfortable towing with it. But I almost wonder if it was towed hard. This year it snowed, and I was able to test out my 4x4. I noticed that the 4x4 low gear stuck and was hard to change it to 4x4 high or 4x2. I wasn't sure if there could be something wrong with it, but is it normal for the 4x4 gear (i dont know the technical term, but its the area where the 4x4 stick shift is) to rattle at different speeds? [addsig]

Are you saying its the shifter itself that rattles? One of my buddies has an auto YJ and his tcase shifter vibrates...like you can put your hand on it and feel vibrations. It may just be vibrations transferred from the transmission to the shifter. The transfercase shifter is actually bolted to the transmission...only the very bottom of the shifter connects to the transfercase and its got a bushing so it would absorb any vibrations. My YJ is a manual and it has never rattled it that area but maybe the autos are different. Without actually hearing the rattle it would be hard for me to make any definite assumptions as to where it is coming from.[addsig]

Have your fluids in your transmission, t-case and front and rear diffs changed. Hopefully changing the fluid in the t-case will take care of the problem. [addsig]

I thought the auto only came behind the 2.5L in '95
image-missing.png
Which country you live in? What trim package is your Jeep?[addsig]

Automatic transmissions were available throughout the YJ's history...the six cylinder engines got a TF999 transmission and later the 32RH. Four bangers got the TF904 and later the 30RH. You don't see many auto YJ's because it was an option...the manual transmission came standard in all packages. Not too many people would really want an automatic YJ...so not very many were made. They are out there though. Manual trannies are just "funner" to drive IMHO.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Automatic transmissions were available throughout the YJ's history...</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure about that? I've never seen a 4banger auto before '95, I thougt they were introduced in '95 with the 'Rio Grande' package (only upscale package on 2.5L YJ). Any links to facts on this would be appreciated, I'd like to know one way or the other. Thanks.[addsig]

Welcome Jeep Girl have only a few ladies here and glad to see more. Quinters is a jeep lady with a highly moded jeep of means. She did most of the work her self. She is a real plus to the board and I hope you too will stick around to teach and learn.

I too have a 4banger and I to lose power on the hills and highways. You have a heavy jeep with a small engin. You will see a drope in road speeds when on the highway hills. That is just the nature of the beast. I still love my little engin that could!

Welcome again and keep on posting so we can get to know you. Good luck in your repairs and See Ya around Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey Bounty Hunter check out this place...I find a lot of good technical info on engines trannies and swaps here.

Jeeptech (transmission section)

Novak Conversions also has info on what engine/transmission combos came in the YJ.

Novak Conversions YJ section

I know first hand that the Rio Grande were not the only YJ's to get an auto...my friend has a 95 but it is just the base model...standard trim but its an auto. My jeep is a Rio Grande and its a standard.[addsig]

Just the difference of the viscosity, or thickness of the oil refer to chemistry book!

[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Are you saying its the shifter itself that rattles? One of my buddies has an auto YJ and his tcase shifter vibrates...like you can put your hand on it and feel vibrations. It may just be vibrations transferred from the transmission to the shifter. The transfercase shifter is actually bolted to the transmission...only the very bottom of the shifter connects to the transfercase and its got a bushing so it would absorb any vibrations. My YJ is a manual and it has never rattled it that area but maybe the autos are different. Without actually hearing the rattle it would be hard for me to make any definite assumptions as to where it is coming from.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It appears that something inside is rattling. If I put my hand on the shifter knob it does not rattle, yet I can hear the sound coming from inside.

I can imagine that a stick shift wrangler is both fun to drive, and having more control over the truck than an auto. My past two cars were stick, and me being lazy and this being my daily driver... I wanted something fun and easy to drive. I didn't realize that auto wranglers weren't very common, I just kinda stumbled upon mine.

Thanks Tug-n-pull for welcoming me to this chat place. Over the past few days I have checked out the pictures, threads, and how-to section. I'd first like to get the cat and this rattling 4x4 taken care of. Then it time to research lifts and big tires.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If it seems like it's coming from inside you might want to see if it secured at the base. And welcome to the board
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I know first hand that the Rio Grande were not the only YJ's to get an auto...my friend has a 95 but it is just the base model...standard trim but its an auto. My jeep is a Rio Grande and its a standard.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your friend's a 4banger?[addsig]

Running Changes

1987: New Model

1988: Sahara model added

1989: Islander model added

1990: No major changes

1991: Big year. New 4.0 liter 180hp 6-cylinder engine replaces 4.2L six ; four gets slight power boost; sound bar added to option list; seats now recline; new body-clad Renegade model replaces Laredo; speed control dropped

1992: New flat military-like green and beige colors

1993: 4-cylinder now available with automatic trans; ABS brakes added to option list

1994: CFC-free A/C phased in; high-mounted stop light added;

1995: Rio Grande model added in final, carryover year; all new model arrived for 1997.

1996: There are no 1996 Wranglers

Source: http://www.vmrintl.com/Usedcars/Car%20%20Reviews/Jeep_Wrangler_87-95.htm

The Rio Grande model was only produced in 1995. It was an interior package mostly with a few offered in some none standard exterior paint colors. The body color of mine is "Coral", kind of a Sunset Orange color. If you go to Reader Rides and take a look at YJeepthang95, you'll know what I'm saying. I have the same year/model/color. Yes, that is a factory color
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back