Stock gears?

TJoffroad00

I went to a shop today to order my wheels finaly and i started talking to the owner about what he charges for installation.Does $400 sound normal for the installation of a Skyjacker 4 inch and two inch spacers on my TJ? He also said that the Skyjacker kit is the exact same kit as the rough country except for disconects. He said they have the same ordering numbers and all.I have heard that the rough country is a lot cheaper quality wise that the Skyjacker though.Was he trying to sell me on the lift or is that really true?Too late b/c i have ordered my lift already but i was interested to know.But anyways on to my main question, Does $800 sound like a fair price to have 4.56 gears put in but that is w/ me already buying the gears and the master install kit, he is just installing them.Also he said that for the TJ you need a new carrier for 4.56 but not 4.11, does he know what he is taling about?Do you think i could get by on 35's w/ stock gears for a while or do i need to go ahead and get my gears right now, have been spending so much money i dont know if i can afford the install of those gears.

[addsig]

He is correct about having to change to a different carrier when you go to very low gears the pinion has fewer teeth but they have to be bigger to fill up the same area. These bigger teeth ride deeper in the ring gear causing it to get thinner so they go to a thicker ring gear for 4.56's but this requires a carrier that has its ring mounting surface moved farther away from the pinion so it can accomadate the thicker gear.I can not say about the prices seeing as I do my own work but when it came to changing gears I would definately be willing to pay a premium for some body that had a lot of experience and a good reputation.Poor installation can cause noise, vibration and excessive wear.It is a big job before you can remove the carriers you have to remove all the axle shafts including the front ones which are much more dfficult.But with all the work you are talking about having this shop do I would expect a quantity discount.As for 35's with stock gears I think that would be real tough with a manual trans I ran 32's with a manual they seemed about the max I was always aware that i was under geared it might be doable for awhile if you have an auto.Happy Wheelin
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I was quoted about $400 for the install at the 4x4 shop where I ordered my lift. I have a 95YJ and got the 4inch skyjacker lift for it. I told the guy, "Thats ok...I believe I'll just do it myself" and I did and its great and thats that.[addsig]

I can do the install myself and know pretty much all there is to doing the lift but my dad dosent want me to do it.So he said he would pay to have it done in a shop.So b/c it is free for me then i am going to have it done at a shop.Also i talked to another shop and they quoted me at putting the gears in labor would be only $400-$450 so i guess the guy was trying to rip me off.they also said that you need a new carrier for any new gears.[addsig]

My dad isnt mechanicaly inclined at all and tends to hate my Jeep and any kind of offroading.He was into racing and thinks lifts and mudding is stupid.I think driving a gay ass mustang or even worse a rice burner down a track that leads to no where is kinda stupid too.But since he dosent trust my mechanical capabilities he wants it done at a shop and if he pays for it then it is fine w/ me.[addsig]

Hey TJoffroad00, easy on the drag racing comments. I happen to own one of the fastest 4th gen Camaros in my town. (You can check it out here- Joe's Camaro if that doesn't work the URL is cardomain.com/id/ricekller) If you have never tried it, then don't knock on it. But anyway, installing a lift kit is not that hard at all. Plus you get to learn a lot more workin under Jeep than signing on a line and driving it away, not knowing what all is done. But if your dad is paying for it and doesn't trust your mechanical abilitites I guess you are stuck. As to your ques about the tire size, I ran 32's with stock gears and the 2.5, it was no speed demon, but it still got around. I am not sure if you would be able to turn the 35's or not. If you could for a while, I wouldn't try and do anything crazy....[addsig]

BBJ....i gotta thought.....yank the LT1 from the camero and put it in the jeep, and put the 2.5 in the camero
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

FR, The thought has already been passed around our circle of off-roaders... A Jeep with 400+ horse would be nice..
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Hopefully a GM smallblock will finds it way under the Jeeps hood some day.....

-A Jeep used only on the street is like a hot-chick becoming a nun...-[addsig]

Back