Stereo Reccomendation

93bizzleYJ

Anyone have any reccomendations for me? I need a cd player and front speakers for my 93 YJ. I'm looking to spend around 400 for everything.

Brian

93 YJ 2.5L

i was looking into getting a marine radio a while back hopeing it would be water proof, but most look like they just have white plastic trim instead of black or grey. same ones for auto use.

what do you want out of the radio?
satalite capable? able to play mp3's? able to read burned cd's (most can now)? inputs for various devices (cell phones, cd/md changers)? outputs for amps?

personally i wouldn't go for any devices that are external of the headunit in a yj (or tj or cj for that matter), it's only a matter of time untill you get caught without the top and or doors in the rain. except for maybe the cellphone cradle that plays thru the speakers, good for the highway w/o top/doors.

but if you drive a lot the satalite radio is something to consider.

I've got some old Pioneer speakers behind the seats. They are old "truck" speakers that are made to go behind a bench seat. I have them mounted upsie down to keep eater and mud out. They are in a plastic casing. The stereo is a JVC. It's the third stereo I have had in there and the CD player won't work now. Whatever stereo you get, make sure that it reads enough that it doesn't skip. I used the old plastic glovebox liner to shield it from water and put a marine cover on the outside to seal the front.
I think dust got the CD player. A cleaner disc won't fix it though.

in my personal opinion.. stay away from sony.... pioneer (especially premier) and jvc are the best of the low priced units... then you can get into the companies that specialize in audio... but you'll be paying more... i have a sony myself and i hate it... it will skip until it is warmed up... and it takes about 30 minutes to warm up

Anybody used Pace Setter Headers?

really?
i've never had a problem with my sony, other than i had my doors off during a bad storm and wasn't allowed to go home (less than 2 1/2 min. away) to put the doors on.
it doesn't play cd's any more, and the face flips up and displays stuff occasionally. radio still works. but it's rusted internally prety bad.

i had a panasonic and hated everything about it. So far i'm on my second alpine head unit and love it. Never buying another kind. alpine for life..or until me or the company dies.

I had a Panasonic that never missed a beat until it took a direct hit from the water hose when I got distracted. It went to smoking and sending a crackling sound through the speakers at that point. I miss that stereo.

Ive just got the cheap walmart Pioneer. Nothing fancy, but its good enough, has a detachable face, and puts out decent power. That along with a $50 set of pioneer 6x9's from walmart in homemade boxes sounds great. I cant tell ya anything about how well it will handle topless season though, cuz i just got the cd player for Christmas and bought the speakers after that.

Nathan

Alpines and pioneers are great, if your looking to stay cheap go with a pioneer or kenwood. I love the fact that my kenwood was cheaper than my girls pioneer and mine came with a remote and user friendly controls when compared to the knobs on her pioneer.

Bryan what's better then putting on your dew rag, taking the top down and bumpin with Eazy E down main street?..common!..its what jeeps do..hehe..gotta love thugs and there license plate rattling systems.

True that, Ianeiac, There is this guy that goes to UCF with me that has his 2002 Sahara with 20" on it even the spare. He blasts his Giggy music. I'll try and get a picture of his Giggy Jeep and show you all. It has more Chrome than a Harley on crack. Good luck with the radio. My personal opinion is get a Pioneer I had one in my Grand Am and loved it. I still have one laying around it is a Din-1/2 that fits the new Jeeps not sure about older ones that I am willing to sell. If anyone is intersted it is a Pioneer DEH-P77DH. Good luck guys if anyone is intrested e-mail me Jetski180@aol.com

lcb, i'd have to second someone's opinion. i bought an old JVC deck 4+ years ago, and its still going strong, i've had it skip once in the time i've had it. and its not expensive. if you wanna spend under $250 for a deck, JVC is the best for the money.

the best head unit would defintely be Alpine. I've got one in a truck of mine and it is amazing. However, you probably don't want to put that kind of money into a Jeep stereo, so I would recccomend Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.

Yeah, I'd like to give a shout out to all my homies right thur with them bling bling Jeeps and systems. Keep on Bumpin till it gets stolen!!! Yo Yo, word out!

winches

Agreed with the alpine ,.....
I have no a/c as most jeeps.. I could never here the radio on the highway. So I went a little overboard with the "system" ..
Headunit is a aiwa mp3 player feed into 2- 4 channel Power Acoustik Fire/Ice 800's.
One runs 4 Pioneer 4x6 2 way's , the other runs a Kenwood SMXDVC 12". It has just the right amount of bass- Not to rattle your head. BUT the vocals can scream over any highway traffic.
I also have doors I can lock, Seems like punk's target jeeps ....

gotta have music... dont' need anything "bumpin"... but music helps with the attitude, mood and environment of driving, in any style you drive

Pioneer, That deck that I put in Daves YJ is close to 6 years old, and look at how well it kicks! Speakers, go with what sounds good. I have clarion in the front, I like them, But going to up grade to Infinity Kappa's to match the sound bar
Do not buy
Jensen
Sony
Aiwa
or audiovox
all are junk.
Alpine is over priced
pioneer
JVC
Kenwood
eclipse
are all goo brands at good prices that have good middle line models for $200-$300 clams!

Back