Starts for 30 seconds and dies

mostang96

:cry: ok, I just bought my first jeep. it's a 1993 cherokee sport with a 4.0. I drove it two days no problem, yesterday I washed the engine at the local car wash, drove home with no problem, drove around town again no problem. When I got home I watched TV for awhile ( 2 hours) went out to go to the store and it wouldn't start, first there was a backfire through the intake, then after turning over what seemed for to long it started ran for a few seconds then dies and this is where i'm at with it, it keeps doing the same thing, sometimes I pump the throttle to get it started and other time just turn over till it starts, but either way it runs for a few seconds then dies. there is fuel in the fuel rail when i press the schrader valve but not any high pressure, and i can hear the fuel pump turn on so ...... any ideas?

M

distributor is wet... get a dnew distributor cap and rotor button that should fix it if not i dunno what to tell you

Hi,

That means you own a Cherokee XJ :mrgreen:

Bring your questions to the "Cherokee/Wagoneer/Liberty forum" next time :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Teraflex REVOLVER Shackles for sale! NJ

I had the same thing happen to my 89 comanche with 4.0. It would crank and die after about 4 or 5 seconds. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. It ended up being a $6 resistor (dealer item only) for my fuel pump under the hood. Took about 30 seconds to change. I have had to replace it 3 times. I carry a spare because when it goes, it's gone.

Skinny

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harlancampbell/detail?.dir=/Unfiled+Photos&.dnm=29ca.jpg

Back