Starting issues

Outlaw

Hey all! I just bought an 88 Cherokee and planned on having a few issues. The jeep won't start, it cranks and the oil was changed ( no metal or nasty sludge in the old oil ). I started with the basics, and found the distributor cap and rotor were shot so they have been replaced. Next I checked fuel pressure and there was none so I pulled the pump and the filter. Old pump was rusted through so I got a new pump assembly and filter. I also dropped the tank and cleaned it with muratic (sp) acid. The pressure is now great! Pulled the #1 plug wire and found no spark. Pulled the coil wire and no spark. So coil pack is on the way. Is there anything else, known problems, that I should look for if this doesn't at least get it trying to turn over? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your time!

I get no spark and I usually head for the CPS.
The wiring in the early XJ's can get kind of iffy, along with the grounds. The grounds at the dipstick holder and the grounds from the back of the head to the firewall.
I periodically disconnect about every connector I can find in the engine bay and clean the connector out with a good quality contact spray. I even bought a small toothbrush for cleaning between your teeth and scrub poles in the connector some.
If you are getting battery voltage to the larger yellow wire at the ignition module, under the coil, with the key in the run position and no spark when you crank, it is likely you have a bad CPS.

Muriatic acid?!?!, holy crap, that's some serious cleaning. I hope you got all it's residue cleaned out or it WILL eat away lines and other components it runs through.

SteelHeadz said:
Muriatic acid?!?!, holy crap, that's some serious cleaning. I hope you got all it's residue cleaned out or it WILL eat away lines and other components it runs through.

The tank was in serious need :). I diluted the acid 20:1 and ran three full tanks of water through it afterwards. Then let it dry in the sun for two days. Couldn't see inside the whole tank obviously but what I could see with a flashlight everything was dry.

Back