Spring Over Vs. Suspension Lift

TNFISHRMAN

Hello all, I am new to the forum. This looks like a great board.
I have a 1994 Wrangler YJ w/ Renegade package. I want to lift it and can not decide whether to do a spring over or put a suspension lift on it. I would like to get 3 1/2 to 4 inches of lift. I participate in moderate wheeling when I can get away for a while ( not into rock crawling currently, maybe someday if I decide to build one from the ground up) also driven on the road as a second vehicle. I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks and take care! Lynn

If your lookin for only 4 inches of lift, don't do a spring over. An SOA will give you around 6".

SOA on a YJ gives you 3-4 inches, i've never heard of it giving you 6. one of the guys in my club runs it, and he loves it. if you have the know-how, or a friend to help you with some welding and fabrication, i'd say do the SOA. if you really know what you're doing, and don't need to pay to get it done, you're going to get out of it cheaper in the long run.

SOA's being cheaper is a myth. If you do it right it will cost more than a lift kit even if you do it yourself. Getting them to handle well on the road is also a challenge, especially for the first timer. It can be done though.
I would say if you are only going 4 inches and plan on doing some road driving, then just get a lfit kit with some quality shocks and sway bar disconnects.

bchcky said:
SOA on a YJ gives you 3-4 inches, i've never heard of it giving you 6. one of the guys in my club runs it, and he loves it. if you have the know-how, or a friend to help you with some welding and fabrication, i'd say do the SOA. if you really know what you're doing, and don't need to pay to get it done, you're going to get out of it cheaper in the long run.
Sorry but I have to say FALSE. SOA gives you AT LEAST 5.5 inches unless your springs are flat or a negative arch. My YJ is SOA, with a full leaf AAL. Gave me 7 inches.

One thing about an SOA that is good since your planning on rockcrawling is that there are no spring perches hangin under your axles. Only thing hanging off my axles are the butt end of the U-bolts.

Rooster is right though, if you do it right with an SYE, CV driveshaft, new springs, regearing, brakelines all that crap, it may be as much as a 4" lift. I never added everything up after I did mine, and I don't plan to! But I love the SOA and there is nothing better you can do to a YJ or CJ in my opinion.

Boys... Boys... depends on the condition of the springs..

Trev you are probably talking about Tony, his SOA is on RE 1.5" lift springs, and he is running a 35" tire, but could easily put a 37 on there.

Jess, If I remember you put new springs on yours when you SOA and run 36" Parnelli's.

Now remember Mike from when we went to PAP, his 87 was SOA and he could only fit 31" tires on it. his springs had a shyt load of de-arching in them.

Everything is relative, I am not a fan of SOA's, unless your on a full width axle or a very radicle offsetted wheel. I would prefer that it stay Spring under, and lots of fender trimming to keep the COG a little closer to terra-firma. if you want to add a little more lift, consider a 1" Body Lift, it won't raise the COG as much as lets say 5" SOA.

jps4jeep said:
Jess, If I remember you put new springs on yours when you SOA and run 36" Parnelli's.

I realize the condition of the springs are a big factor, but...

mine are stock springs, I wish they were new (they soon will be). I put an Add A Leaf in the spring pack which is supposed to raise it another inch... that's how I got 7".

I would suggest a standard 4" lift, easy and complete.. allow your ability's as both a driver and a fabricator grow, then consider a SOA with some better axles.

New to it all?

Save $$$, hassle, and most importantly... Keep it simple: get a 3.5" to 4" SUA lift. It'll clear 32-33" tires (depending on kit)

im soa on sagged 2 inch springs and am running 38s, they fit without trimming but rubbed when flexed so i trimmed the hell out of it. an soa is a lot of hassle if your not going to wheel the **** out of it. for mild wheeling, an sua kit is a great way to go. if you never plan on going above 35s or if you dont forsee swapping axles anywhere in the future, stay sua and buy a lift kit and sye and driveshaft

Guys I really appreciate all the info. ! I am not exactly new to this, only new to working on Jeeps. I always had trucks before now. I just decided that I was missing way to much not having a Jeep and boy am I pleased to have my first one. I am very mechanically inclined and have the necessary equipment to complete the spring over. The only problem is I have never tried to do one yet. I am still not sure. I may go with the spring under for now until I get me some different axles then do the SOA. Any suggestion on axles for the YJ. Thanks again, Lynn

sorry for assuming you were inexperienced. axles for a yj? well your still a little vague, for nothing bigger than 37s, 44s would be fine, a rear 44 on 37s might be pushing it. the 8.8 out of an explorer is a commom rear end swap, it has the same bolt pattern as a yj and is stronger than a 44. for the front end, a wagoneer 44 is a popular choice. otherwise its one tons once you get to 39s. you can run scout 44s if you swap in a d300 transfer case, or wagoneer 44s front and rear. some cherokees also have 44s. i get the feeling you dont want to go bigger than 36s or so, and 44s are just fine for that tire size.

Back