Spring Over Lift

RedWrang

Has anyone done this yet? I took my sway bars off about a month ago and a buddy told me i didnt need them. All seems ok without them. Can I just weld new perches on and flip my axels or will i need to lengthen the driveshafts, and what about the pitman arm. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks[addsig]

That's basically what's involved. You might have to lengthen the rear, and shorten the front drive lines. Also, you'll have to deal with steering geometries. New pitman arm.

I've considered doing that swap on my CJ-5, but havn't yet, ( I haven't ruled it out)

The sway bar being disconnected; may not bew an issue now (unloaded) but if/when you load the vehicle up for a week long run, going around sharp corners you'll feel it roll more! Definatly remove it when wheelin, as it'll free up a few inches of articulation.[addsig]

Hook the sway bars back up. Someday on an uneven road surface, maybe going around a curve, your going to have to swerve to miss something and end up parked on the roll bar. My brother would tell you if he could, buried him awhile back. The benefits don´t really outwiegh the danger. On a side slope (when four wheeling) I´d much rather have the sway bars hooked up. I´ve seen alot more side slopes, than I have places, where I had to have all four wheels on the ground. Just an oppinion. Lost one brother to a jeep, had another roll his over his own body (broken seat belt) he lived, but sure hurt like heck. Both accidents happened when the axles (diffs) were at the limit of articulation.
image-missing.png
Folded instead of skid.[addsig]

Back