Softtop securability?

ZBTstang

I am one of the unlucky ones who unfortunatly only has a soft top for my 98 TJ. One thing that I really dont like about it is the fact that it leaves my jeep so wide open. Someone can unzip my backwndow, take this part or that part off and have complete access to my jeep. Do you guys out there know any tricks to make a soft top more secure? Maybe a way to lock the zippers in the back, etc....[addsig]

you can get little padlocks for your zippers, but any utility knife will get through a softtop... i'd just keep the zippers UNLOCKED so that if someone wants in they'll unzip the window, take what they want, and leave. now you're just replacing the stuff they stole instead of all that AND the top.[addsig]

I agree... I never lock my doors either just to make sure someone doesn't get impatient and cut through a window or something... Its better just to keep nothing of value in there and allow easy access. This past summer, someone went through my CJ for the first time since I've had it. They made off with an empty CD case and no damage was done.

jim[addsig]

I don't keep anything of value in My CJ and sometimes i leave the soft door cracked open so any would be theif will just open the door and take a look instead of cutting my top. But you have a Wrangler so this is of no use to u. sorry, thats having a soft top, you can never stop a sharp blade
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I don't keep anything of value in My CJ and sometimes i leave the soft door cracked open so any would be theif will just open the door and take a look instead of cutting my top. But you have a Wrangler so this is of no use to u. sorry, thats having a soft top, you can never stop a sharp blade
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> Or flicking a lit cigarette on top! BASTARDS!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Just one of the prices you pay to be free. Soft tops are a hardship as far as keeping folk out but oh how much fun when you let the top down. Put on a sticker that says protected by big hairy spiders and snakes maybe that would help.
image-missing.png
Or the best way is to put you in a lockabe behind the back seat box or a 50 cal ammo box between the seats or any number of after market safes made for Jeeps. Still if you have a soft top you are going to have to worry. Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've installed Tuffy security boxes and a Viper perimeter alarm and haven't been broken into since.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

At night I have an alarm, pressure switches under the seats (battery backup). Disables the motor and the codes for my radio. In the day the only thing of real value I keep in the Jeep, is a 70 pound dog that lives for a chance to chew on somebody and loves hanging out in the back of the Wrangler. The only real problem is finding some shade to park in during the summer. He´d just as soon stay in there 24/7.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

yea i just got an ultra sensitive alarm, they're kinda a pain at times, but its the price you pay. the bartender at the restaurant i work at has a nice alarm, it starts chirping if you get with in a foot of it and goes off if it detects any movement like a hand reaching into the jeep or someone climbing inside or something. same with my other friend only his alarm screams "please help me" over and over again in a really high girly voice. i think its a bulldog alarm. ~ master oh and the dog idea sounds like a good one, my dog is just a little to small to scare people off, he does draw in the ladies tho
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I trained mine at an early age, don´t bite women or children, anybody else, have fun. He is pretty much alot of barking and growling, I think,he thinks, it´s a game, but he sure looks serious. I´ve got a sign in the back that says, this car protected by Smith and Wesson, don`t know if it helps or not, but my tools are still in the back.

Every alarm I´ve ever installed, gave up the ghost after a couple of years. I had one with a really loud siren, everytime a hail storm would set it off, the volunteer fire department would rally, I had to re-thunk that one.[addsig]

I don't know if its this way everywhere else... but here in the DC area it seems like alarms are just about as pointless as it gets anymore. No one really pays any attention to an alarm going off, and i think that more often than not they're just viewed as a nusance. Its kindof a shame that they can't be taken more seriously.

Mudderchuck's experience with alarms dying after a while is similar to mine too... the last one I had started killing the engine and sounding off randomly when I would be driving. I think I looked a little suspicious pushing my truck off the road while the siren was blaring.

jim[addsig]

I have a hard top, but on the weekends, I take the top off, and leave it off untill Sunday night. Like everybody else, I just do not leave anything of value in my Jeep, and laeve everything open. Haven't had a problem yet Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

All I have to say about soft tops can be summed up in just four simple words...DON'T LOCK YOUR DOORS!!!!! I locked mine all the time up until a couple months ago when a thief with a sharp knife cut a 6"x12" hole in my driver side soft window while it was sitting in my driveway at night. The sad thing is he broke in for nothing really...all he got some cds in a case that was on the floor. I think the thief was after my stereo but I keep the face off whenever I'm not in the jeep. Now I just leave the doors unlocked wherever I am but I did get a SUPER loud Python alarm that goes off if someone opens my door or bumps the jeep and really havent had any problems since then. BTW anyone got any black bestop uppers for sale or heard of any? My window looks wierd with packing tape over the hole hehe.[addsig]

Back