seized motor

burton

i wrote before how my 83cj7 died on me. The verdict is in, I seized it up because of a oil pump failure now i need to replace it. I called an engine shop and they told me the minimum would be 2400 to get an remanufactured 258 in it. My dad and I started thinking that if we are going to spend the money to get my baby running we should go bigger. So now we are thinking about doing a swap for a 304 or 360 and putting in a painless wiring harness. My question is what else do i need besides the engine to get this done. I got a t-176 transmission w/ a dana300 transfer. I know i need to get new motor mounts and I found a guy that sells 304's for 400 and 360s for 300. help would be great

Get the 360, you'll wish you had. Sounds like you got a handle on the swap, needing new motor mounts. Probably want to upgrade the radiator while you're at it. Consider a DUI ignition?

Hi,

If you were going to put a new 6-cylinder in it the 242 I6 4.0L is probably a better choice than the 258.

-Nick :!:

so the 360 should be a direct bolt on? I found one from this guy for $300 and he has a radiator. Im going to get that then get new motor mounts and also a painless wiring harness to rewire my jeep. My wiring is a mess as it is and I think it will make the swap alot easier. Any ideas on how long its going to take to do the swap?

The 304 isn't a bad engine, it's just the smaller size demands closer attention to performance parts selection and it will be more "peaky" than the larger 360. If you just want something to drive, either would be great. If alot of power is the goal, grab the 360. It's just a better platform to build off of and will produce alot more power than the 304 even if you decide to just run it the way the factory built it.

I have the 304 in my '77 '7.

Althought it sure sounds great through the pipes, in reality it is a gutless wonder stone stock.

When I punch it to get on the freeway it winds out alot and makes lots of noise but kinda limps out into traffis.

And all this for 11mpg. My '87 E150 CamperVan had the 302V8
While towing the Jeep & hauling its own 6500lb lard butt up the mountain it would get 12.5mpg !!!!

For sure get the 360.

See advanced adapters the experts on ANY kind of Jeep upgrade/or wierd install. They have a chart which tells it all.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/

they'll hook you up !!!

another most popular swap is the GM 350V8. Oh, Yeah, Advanced Adapters can help you do that too !!!

The GM350 is plentiful in every wrecking yard in America. Is a superior power plant than anything AMC ever designed and more speed parts are available than for the AMC360.

You used to be able to buy a new 350 crate engine for a pickup for $789
some years ago. No doubt it is more now but ask your GM Truck parts man how much. It may surprise you .

~see you on the trail~

Back