Roofers?

TwistedCU

ANy roofers out there?

a while back, I posted some pics of me climbing poles,towers, etc. at work. I pride myself on being able to climb ridiculous heights with no fear and work.

Well I just spent the day repairing my steep roof, and I can tell you 2 things:

1. That's my last time on a roof ( a steep one anyhow).
2. We lineman ain't got nothin' on you roofers!

I started helping my Dad roof houses at 8. I wasn't up on the roof at that age but it wasn't long before I was toting the bundles of shingles up.

Preparing for a steep roof is a real pain in the buttocks. First (to be safe) you have to install step-boards.

You remove a shigle in the area you need to nail a 2X4 in place then you have to replace the shingle when you get done and you walk these up the roof towards the spot you have to repair. A flat roof is more of a pain that anything though. Specially if you are using Tar and Gravel. then again Roll roofing on almost flat is bad also. I think I prefer Steep to flat.

What about termite guys. They have to climb on those roofs with no 2 x 4's at least when I did it. On top of that you are carying 2 to 3 hundred pound tarps across your back up the ladder and across the roof to tent it.

The worst part is after all the nailing the little granules on some of the existing shingles shook loose and made for some real slippery footing. Like I said, last one for me. :shock:

I dont wanna be a roofer now. Thanks for shatering my dreams........ :)

i've done it my whole life, from about the age of 7... its not that bad... i love doing rubber flat roofs... instead of nailing 2x4s down.. get some roofjack that can be placed under the shingles so you dont' have to replace them... being a gopher for a few years got my stamina up to be one hell of a monster roofer

Back