Roof Rack for TJ?

socal_rob

I'm looking for a roof rack for my TJ and thought I'd see if any of you fine folks have some suggestions?

I currently have a soft top on my TJ, but plan to put a hard top on this winter. I do not want a rack that mounts directly to the top, but rather one that attaches to the body and works with both a soft or hard top.

I have a Garvin swing-away bumper and trail rack on my TJ now, so I'm already familiar with their roof rack. It's definitely an option, but a little overkill for me. I'm basically looking for a roof rack for two reasons: skis in the winter and a kayak in the summer. I don't really need a basket-style rack like the Garvin...just something that can hold my kayak or ski/snowboard racks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Rob

I think if you look in the Quadratech catalog they have a few other body mounted roofracks that are cheaper. However, The don't look like much and I think you'll probably be disappointed with them. I plan on spending the money and getting the one from Garvin. Good luck

I have the "Top Five" roof rack on my TJ (Kayaks and various other things) and have been happy with it. It allows you to raise and lower the soft top with the rack in place. I just happen to have one sitting here in a box that I was going to put on eBay!

I'm at work now, but when I get home, I'll post a couple pics of what it looks like.

Thanks for pointing out the Top Five rack. It looks pretty good, but the Garvin can handle a heavier load. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...

Anyone out there have the Garvin rack? How much drilling is required?

Follow up question...

Any idea if there's a big difference in weight between the Top Five and Garvin racks? Garvin's stuff truly deserves the "armor" description. It's heavy!

rackyak2a.jpg

Rack6a.jpg

A couple of pics.

You'd be surprised at how much weight it'll hold......And a bolt-on installation - no drilling. Something to think about. Might even be willing to throw in a couple of Yakima stakers!!

mud4feet said:
You'd be surprised at how much weight it'll hold......And a bolt-on installation - no drilling. Something to think about. Might even be willing to throw in a couple of Yakima stakers!!

I have a Garvin front bumper on my TJ, as well as a rear Swing-Away bumper w/ Trail Rack, so I'm definitely a big Garvin fan. However, I'm not too excited about drilling, so the Top Five looks good from that standpoint. That said, I can't really tell how the Top Five mounts to the rear of the vehicle. Since I now have a Garvin Swing-Away bumper back there, is that going to cause any problems?

Any issues putting the (soft) top down with the Top Five rack attached?

Thanks,
Rob

socal_rob said:
I have a Garvin front bumper on my TJ, as well as a rear Swing-Away bumper w/ Trail Rack, so I'm definitely a big Garvin fan. However, I'm not too excited about drilling, so the Top Five looks good from that standpoint. That said, I can't really tell how the Top Five mounts to the rear of the vehicle. Since I now have a Garvin Swing-Away bumper back there, is that going to cause any problems?

Any issues putting the (soft) top down with the Top Five rack attached?

Thanks,
Rob

As I don't have a swing-away, I really can't say. The rear mounts are 2 brackets that bolt to the bottom of the bumper (the factory holes). They extend beyond the stupid plastic bubbles and the rack bolts to these brackets. I'll try to get some pics of mine and post them.....hopefully that'll help.

OK, here goes. I took these at night so they're not the greatest, but maybe you'll get an idea of how it mounts -

Left side:
RackLtSide.JPG

Left rear (really dark - can't see much - maybe you can pick out the mounting bolt in relation to the tailgate):
RackLtRear.JPG

Right side:
RackRtSide.JPG

Right rear:
RackRtRear.JPG

Another great thing about this rack is the ease of installation and removal - 8 5/16th (I think) bolts and she's off!

Back