rear XJ leaf spring mount (front) woes...

dingus

well i was hoping that my lift installation would be as easy as everyone has said: "using handtools, breaker bars, and a spring compressor, it'll be done easily!"

not so...

the bolts that go through the front mount of the leaf springs on XJ's thread into a bolt that's encased in a bracket, welded to the side of each frame rail. the nuts on mine, as i have attempted to unthread them, have broken their welds and simply spin in their little cavity. has anyone had experiece with getting this resolved? it looks like i will have to cut the brackets off (the frame rails atleast) and get the nuts rewelded, then get everything welded back on. the problem is that my jeep is immobile and nobody living in my house is a proficient welder. i'm thinking that it should probably just get towed somewhere to let a shop do this... any thoughts on pricing?

discouraged and mad at my jeep,

-nate[addsig]

This is very common. Can you cut an access hole to get a wrench on the spinning nut?[addsig]

that is a possiblilty, however, the spinning nut also has the ends of the nuts also have the ends of the bolts in there. i'll probably end up replacing the bolts and nuts together. good call... less cutting/welding![addsig]

good call bounty hunter. after a long day in the garage and running around hell's half acre looking for hardware, i used a dremel and the 'cut off bits' to cut out holes in the bottom of each bracket, then dropped the old nuts out. then i put new nuts in, and threaded the new bolts through them. i held the new nuts in place with locking needlenose pliers. worked out great! i'm so happy now...[addsig]

Good news, glad to hear you got it worked out
image-missing.png

I'll probably run into this same problem if/when I swap the rear springs out in my '98 XJ. Not looking forward to that.[addsig]

Dingus....Congrats on the lift....now you might have a slight chance to keep up with me and my TJ on the 14th LOL. Sorry I couldn't b there, but being an owner of a business has it's bad times(working on Thanksgiving) as well as it's good times. I'm just happy you got it in, and can't wait to see your happy XJ bounding over the rocks and through the mud !!!!!!!!! Rob
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

well, PASmoke, and the rest of you, the project is only half over. the front still isn't on. if it was complete i'd be showing you pics...
image-missing.png
Hopefully i get the front done today![addsig]

Back