Rear Sway Bar 01 TJ

lethaldose

well when i was under my jeep over the weekend working on the exhaust problems , i noticed that my rear sway bar was really loose, could see where it was sliding in the bushings on the axle housing , i was just curious this thing is tiny as hell is it ok to remove it ?? i mean the way its in there right now i dont believe i'm getting any benefits from it being this loose but before i yanked it out i wanted to check

I removed mine 2 years ago. No problems. You may notice a little extra roll in the rear on curves but you aren't driving a BMW now are you ;)

well the way its in there i dont think its actually doing anything beneficial so i dont think i'd noticed any diffs i just wanted to get some heads up from everybody see who has done it

Sway bars don't do much for you until you are in an accident-type scenario. I'd recommend leaving it in. Your roll bar and air bag aren't doing anything for you right now either... and hopefully they never will!

Sway bars don't do much for you until you are in an accident-type scenario. I'd recommend leaving it in. Your roll bar and air bag aren't doing anything for you right now either... and hopefully they never will!

what i'm saying is the sway bar i can take one hand and slide it both in the bushings and the connections a good 2-3in's ..... which isnt normal because the sway bar needs a solid connection to tame body roll

Sway bar keeps the Jeep from rolling. Side to Side doesn't really matter. I concur that you should leave your Front Sway in place. but as I said I removed mine and have gotten in a wreck that had me sliding sideways on a concrete highway. I have No rear sway bar and I didn't roll. Maybe I was lucky but let me tell you on a trail the extra articulation of the rear helps.

All I'm gonna say is, they don't make rear sway bar discos for a reason. Most competitive guys run sway bars, it helps force the axles to articulate at the same rate.

I have a 01 TJ as well, I dont know where my rear sway is any more. I got rid of it after I discovered I forgot to re-hook up my 100+$ rear sway disco's.
I drove several months without them and really didnt noticed a big diffrence so to save me the trouble of climbing under my Jeep to re-hook up my Discos I took them off and a year or so later I cut off all of the un-used bracetry.

i can see both sides of this .. but if i keep it i'm gonna have to put in new mounts and connectors cause these are just worn way to bad to give any benefits... i was just looking for a simple cheap option by seeing how many people were running with out the bar .. thanks guys

I got the extended rear links from Rubicon (I think), they were cheap. You won't get much more articulation from removing the rear bar (not enough to notice). I figure it's cheap insurance to keep it on. I rode mine without it when my end links wore out while I waited for the new ones. It seemed to do better off road with it installed.

Back