Rampage Combo Brief Top review/questions

Gotta-P

I picked this top up in the mesh fabric to get the full open air feel while providing some protection from the sun. The concept of two tops in one was appealing, however, execution leave alot to be desired. Maybe I need to ask a couple questions first...

Did the Sound Bar come standard on any 97-06 TJ Model or was it an option on all of them? I ask because it became very apparent this top did not take the sound bar into consideration when they designed it.

I've had this top on the Jeep for two days, and while I like it, the fit, and finish, of the attachments leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm not to sure how it would hold up with the back section removed.

Installation was straight forward, but the instructions did not match the product provided. For example, the instruction say to fasten the velcro straps around the sports bar above the doors, there are no velcro straps!

Next, the strap and buckle attachment on the top of the sports bar is obviously intended for a Jeep without the Sound Bar being as the straps are not long enough to go around the sound bar, and there really isn't space to easily slide them between the sound bar and the sports bar. Now, had the buckles been forward facing, I could have made it work, but the straps still would have been cocked inward toward the center of the bar which would have resulted in bulges/wrinkles on the top.

Next, there are two straps right behind the zipper that connect to nothing! No buckles anywhere, so these ended up just being tuck up between the roof and the sound bar to keep them from flapping in the wind.

Last, the rear straps are like a 100 yards long, and are nothing like the pictures in the instruction. They work well looped under the rear seatbelt retainer, but you still have like 99 yards of strap flapping in the breeze. They come with clips that are supposed to attach to the tub, but with the strap and buckle set about 2" apart, it makes more sense to attach it to the seatbelt retainer. The picture shows the buckle attached about halfway down the strap so you would only have two straps going from the top to the tub, not four as would be the case if I ran the strap all the way down to the clip and back to the buckle.

I'm still debating if I should return it or not. It was only $39.99, but I don't know if it will work as a Bikini Top due to the poor design of the straps that hold the top to the sports bar. I have a call into Rampage Tech Support to see if they sent the right top. Does anyone else have any experience with this top? Anything I'm missing? Thanks...

Gotta-P said:
I picked this top up in the mesh fabric to get the full open air feel while providing some protection from the sun. The concept of two tops in one was appealing, however, execution leave alot to be desired. Maybe I need to ask a couple questions first...

Did the Sound Bar come standard on any 97-06 TJ Model or was it an option on all of them? I ask because it became very apparent this top did not take the sound bar into consideration when they designed it.

I've had this top on the Jeep for two days, and while I like it, the fit, and finish, of the attachments leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm not to sure how it would hold up with the back section removed.

Installation was straight forward, but the instructions did not match the product provided. For example, the instruction say to fasten the velcro straps around the sports bar above the doors, there are no velcro straps!

Next, the strap and buckle attachment on the top of the sports bar is obviously intended for a Jeep without the Sound Bar being as the straps are not long enough to go around the sound bar, and there really isn't space to easily slide them between the sound bar and the sports bar. Now, had the buckles been forward facing, I could have made it work, but the straps still would have been cocked inward toward the center of the bar which would have resulted in bulges/wrinkles on the top.

Next, there are two straps right behind the zipper that connect to nothing! No buckles anywhere, so these ended up just being tuck up between the roof and the sound bar to keep them from flapping in the wind.

Last, the rear straps are like a 100 yards long, and are nothing like the pictures in the instruction. They work well looped under the rear seatbelt retainer, but you still have like 99 yards of strap flapping in the breeze. They come with clips that are supposed to attach to the tub, but with the strap and buckle set about 2" apart, it makes more sense to attach it to the seatbelt retainer. The picture shows the buckle attached about halfway down the strap so you would only have two straps going from the top to the tub, not four as would be the case if I ran the strap all the way down to the clip and back to the buckle.

I'm still debating if I should return it or not. It was only $39.99, but I don't know if it will work as a Bikini Top due to the poor design of the straps that hold the top to the sports bar. I have a call into Rampage Tech Support to see if they sent the right top. Does anyone else have any experience with this top? Anything I'm missing? Thanks...

You can loosen the sound bar to get the strap around the bar by feeding it between the bar and sound bar.

That doesn't really work either due to the placement of the buckles. The strap that attaches the buckle to the top is about 1 1/2" in length, so even if I loosened the sound bar, the buckle would either be under (inside) the soundbar enclouser or it sets on top of the sound bar and does not fasten snuggly. Now, had the buckle and strap been reversed, i.e. the buckle afixed so it lay in the front side of the sports bar, loosening the sound bar and feeding the longer strap through would have worked. Like I mentioned in the review, it's very apparent the folks who designed this product did not have a Jeep with the sound bar when they designed it. A couple simple fixes and this would have been a great product, but as is, it fails for anyone trying to easily install it on a TJ with the Sound Bar.

your pictures are not working.

i was thinking of buying that top. i got a normal top instead and the first time it rained, i was so glad i did

your pictures are not working.

i was thinking of buying that top. i got a normal top instead and the first time it rained, i was so glad i did

I didn't post pictures, maybe I should! I have a Bestop Black Diamond Safari Top that I really like, I was just looking for something that would let the air through but block the burning effects of the sun. I really like it in that respect, just disappointed in the shabby way it attaches. Had they just stated that it doesn't work with the Sound Bar, I'd have bought a different one.

After doing more research, I think I'm going to go with the Bestop Mesh Bikini Top, it actually states it will work with or without the sound bar. To bad Bestop doesn't make a combo top, I just can't justify buying a mesh Bikini Top and a Mesh Safari Top, being able to convert from one to the other by simply zipping on the additional peace is really innovative!

Okay, here are some pics to help explain my disappointment:

Rampage-1.jpg

This shows the second strap attached to the back half of the cover just past the zipper. Looks as though it should strap to the sport bar like the one on the front half, but there is no buckle to strap it to on the back side of the cover...

Rampage-2.jpg

This is the back corner strap. Fits good and snug, but the next picture shows the rest of the strap that hangs to the floor!

Rampage-3.jpg

As you can see, a lot of useless strap the tie off to keep from flapping in the breeze!

Rampage-4.jpg

This shows the buckle on top of the sound bar. This placement location prevents the strap from being securely tightened around the sport bar.

Rampage-5.jpg

This shows the bump/bulge/wrinkle where the buckle sticks up and does not allow the top to lay flat over the sound bar because of the placement of the buckle.

Decided I'm taking it back and may order the Bestop Mesh Bikini instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know that long back on goes into the j-clip that hooks to the back of the tub and then goes all the way back up to the buckle. you will have a bit left over but not that much. the others, no idea. maybe the extra strap is for when you fold back the other part and you tie it up?

i know that long back on goes into the j-clip that hooks to the back of the tub and then goes all the way back up to the buckle. you will have a bit left over but not that much. the others, no idea. maybe the extra strap is for when you fold back the other part and you tie it up?

Yes, per the instructions the back straps are supposed to go through a J hook and attach to the Tub, but the picture in the instructions also shows only one strap per side with the buckle is attached to the strap about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the strap. The top actually has a separate strap and buckle, so it makes more sense to loop in under the seatbelt retainer. In this configuration, it's held in place very snuggly, but you have a couple yards of strap left that needs to be tied off to prevent it from flapping in the wind.

The back half of the top is not meant to be folded back, it's designed to be unzipped and removed completely (even comes with a storage puoch), so I'm at a loss as to what that second strap was intended for...

Regardless, I took it off and I'm returning it. I ordered the Bestop Mesh Bikini instead, hopefully, it will fit better. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else was looking at this top, they would know going in that it doesn't work as a Bikini top if you have the sound bar...

i am glad you put your experience on here. i believe i did a write up on my experience with my rugged ridge or whatever top i bought also. i think its worth it so others can see what they are getting as the pictures all look like a generic top when you are trying to order one

The catalogs do a dis-service to the customer, that's for sure! The same time I ordered the Rampage Combo Top, I ordered the Bestop Winshield Channel with OE Latch, Part# BST5501401. The description in the 4 Wheel Parts Catelog stated: Windshield Channels are required for the installation of Bikini tops... Now, doesn't that imply this will work with a Bikini Top? Turns out that part is actually a replacement for the OEM Windshiled Header for the factory soft-top! No channel at all for use with a Bikini Top! It went back as well...

So, yes, I felt the need to share so others don't end up in the same situation and have to return parts that don't fit or aren't as described. Fortunately, I have a 4 Wheel Parts Store right down the street from my office, and those guys are awesome. I really had them scratching their heads today when I returned the Rampage Top and showed them all the discrepancies between the instructions and the top as well as the apparent design flaws with the backward top straps and the straps that attach to nothing on the back half!

my buddy owns a local shop here but he doesn't carry stuff in shop

They don't have a lot of inventory at the store near me either, which is why I normally order on-line. I have it delivered to the store though, it saves shipping costs and gives me an excuse to stop by the store! LOL!

I wish they had a few of the tops on display though, it would help when you're trying to decide, but then again, there are way to many to choose from!

Back