purchased first jeep, need help

nickydiamonds

i just bought my first jeep wrangler yesterday. i like it alot but would like it

even more if it had bigger tires. it is a 91 and i want to buy 15X8's for it. what is the biggest tire and the best backspacing that i can go with. the jeep is also not lifted and i don't want to lift it. thanks[addsig]

Im pretty sure that the biggest tire you can stuff in there without any rubbing is a 30X9.5. I'd just put that on the stock rims instead of buying new rims, but thats me and im cheap as all hell. Congrats on buying a jeep, and hope you learn alot here.

TARSI[addsig]

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Buy A Jeep! Welcome to the brotherhood and the board! Now go ahead and get you a 2nd job for the habit. I did not want a lift now I do! I thought stock tire max size would be enough it's not! Was going to keep it stock pretty much I am not! I love my 4 banger but now I want a fire breathing V8! You get started and then you just don't when to stop. So welcome and stick to your guns friend!
image-missing.png
Tug
image-missing.png
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> purchased first jeep, need help </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>A Truer Title Nerver Used! heheheheh[addsig]

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jeep ownership
image-missing.png

Also welcome to the hell of wanting to spend more money than you make in a year to make mods & upgrades. I am new to the Jeeping world myself, just passed the 5 month mark of being a Jeep owner. There is a lot to learn that can be learned right here. Feel free to call upon myself and the rest of us here with any questions. Im sure most of the answers can be found with many of the people that post here. Take care

Giving you a big Jeep wave
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i run 30x9.5 on my stock YJ and i have alot of flex for it being stock, and my friend has a 91 YJ and has 31in tires and his rubs only when he makes really sharp turns. the 31's will fit and look better too.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I own two (mostly) stock Wranglers, an 87 and a 93. Both are rollin' 31's with some rubbing on tight turns on the 87, but not on the 93. I've heard you can adjust your steering to prevent this bu its not too much of a problem. Also with 31's you will rub the flares pretty frequently if you go off road or hit major bumps, but you can always buy wider flares to prevent this.[addsig]

Save your money for now because sooner or later down the road you will want to lift your jeep. Your jeep will go through enough s@#t with either 235/75/R15 or 30x9.5/R15. Enjoy and start saving for when your jeep breaks
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If you are looking into 33" tires, how high of a lift would you recomend? I know there are body lifts, shackle lifts, and suspension lifts.. what is everyone's take on the different kinds?[addsig]

If you are looking into 33" tires, how high of a lift would you recomend? I know there are body lifts, shackle lifts, and suspension lifts.. what is everyone's take on the different kinds?[addsig]

Tires seem to be like those spam adds I get, to increase certain body parts in size, never seem to be big enough (or long enough). I run 29" (30") or the metric equivilant (235X75 R 15, 225X70 R 16) and they rub on occasion (and Grandma appreciates not exposing herself when getting in and out). The 16´s seem to do away with a little sidewall flex and make it a bit more stable on the highway. I rarley air my tires down, seem to get more puncture damage that way. Just an oppinion from Mr. conservative.[addsig]

Back