pros and cons on a 4 cyl.

suthrn98

What are some pros and cons on a getting a 4 cylinder XJ? I found one for about 500 bux, with the body in good shape. Runs good, just needing to sell. Are the transmission's and x-fer cases the same as in the 6's? In case I wanted to do a swap later on? Or would I need a new transmission come time for that? Also, If I had a 4 banger one, could I put enough gear in it to run 32s? If so, what size gears would I need to get decent use out of the 32's? :?: :x :shock: :D :) :eek: :lol:

You will find many many opinions on this matter here. Many folks would tell you they'd rather have a 4 than a 6 and vice versa. All opinion.

Welcome to Jeepz by the way.

RE: kumho mud tires

My I-6 has spoiled me, I am very fond of it's performance (and being able to beat all the little fart-muffler rides in my area off the line :twisted: )... When I fill up on gas, I would kill for a 4, heck, I'd take one of those odd little 3-bangers from a Metro... I've never driven a Jeep with a 4 cyl, but I have not heard bad from them, at the very least, they get you where you want to go on and off road. After all, Jeep is not a racecar...

Re: your original question, I am not sure if they use the same transmission or t-case, but I think they might. What year XJs are you talking about? Automatic or stick? While I cannot be of much help past that, this information will help my learned bretheren to answer your question better...

And welcome to Jeepz!
image-missing.png

any running Jeep for $500 is worth picking up........ 4, 6, 12, 14 cyl..... who cares its a jeep!

(you are going to be wrenching on it no matter what power plant is in it!)

If it helps, your spending the same amount on your whole jeep that I am spending on a replacement exhaust manifold for my 6!

RE: kumho mud tires

Goooodd point! That's less than 2 months Jeep payment here, sounds like a fine deal, especially if it runs/is in decent condition.

I had a 4 cyl TJ and I wouldnt get another one period. The next ride was a sahara with the 6 and it was night and day. The 4 cyl wasnt bad it just wasnt good. The 6cyl with 5 spd was fun. My opinion anyways.

What year is this 4banger XJ? The transmission and transfer case models varied depending on year, and usually aren't easily compatible with the 4.0L drivetrain.

I prefer the 4banger, having previously owned a 4.2L turned 350 YJ, and a 4.0L XJ. Current beast is a 2.5L YJ, it's solid offroad.

You can run just about any size tire with the 4 cyl. if you gear it right. If it has 4.11 stock gears in it, they would work with 32's, but for some more power you could go to 4.88 gears. I don't think 4.56 gears would be worth the money.

I had a YJ with 4.11's and 32's. It was my daily driver/weekend warrior and I was happy with it.

You asked about cons. Well it will not be a powerhouse - especially on long highway upgrades with bigger tires, but re-gearing will remedy that.

The 2.5 is a good little motor that'll last a long time. It is also lighter which is a plus offroad.

Like mentioned above, $500 is hard to pass up for any running Jeep. I think it'll make for a good toy.

well I have ran across a few of them with the four. they all vary in years.. Any where between 85-89's. they were all decent bodys. I am gonna choose the one with the best body.
As for the long highway thing. I have my wifes ZJ I am about to lift, that we take on trips. I have another XJ with 32s on it, but it spends an aweful lot of time broken. I want another project. I have been about 2 years without wrenching on anything. My XJ has been lifted and all that long. I just want another toy. My wife will drive one off-road and I wil drive the other. Her ZJ is a highway crawler, that rarely sees dirt. So one of my XJ's will end up beign hers.

My main thing is wanting another project.

Back