Potential Mods to CJ-7...Recommendations?

Special_K

I have a 1986 CJ-7 Laredo that I've been advertising for sale for $9500 obo for a few months now. I've gotten several bites and even a few who said that they were intending to buy...but who they either changed their mind or just didn't call back. It's in nearly perfect condition as it has no rust, perfect original seats, etc.

Since it does seems to be running rich and gradually killing the catalytic converter, I dropped by a Jeep specialty shop for a simple tune-up. They suggested that they'd have a heck of a time making a difference without a complete overhaul. We also threw around ideas of upgrading to an aftermarket carb like Weber or Edelbrock (they suggested Weber)

Considering that I'm trying to sell the Jeep, I don't want to do anything that will result in me completely throwing the $$$ away. But I'm what inexpensive upgrades, plus the more expensive carb replacement, are worthwhile?

Right now the Jeep is completely stock mechanically (except for the lift) so some of my thoughts included:

- Aftermarket Carb (~500 including install): Is it worthwile for a Jeep I'm selling? Should I/can I just get a cheap tune up? For new carbs, which brand is best? Is ~$500 reasonable for carb + install since I won't be doing it myself?
- Steam Clean Engine (~$50)
- Red Spark Plug Wires from 4 Wheel Parts Hardware (~$90): Can I get preassembled ones cheaper someplace else?
- Aftermarket Air Filter (~$60)
- Aftermarket Metal Cylinder Cover (~$30)

Are there other cheap to moderate upgrades that would help increase the appeal (and ideally, the value) of the Jeep?

Here are a few pics:

The Jeep - Looks Maroon but It's Actually Fire Engine Red
The Jeep Again - Better Color but Teeny Weeny Picture
The Engine - A Bit Dirty and Drab
The Dash

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1986 CJ-7 Laredo that I've been advertising for sale for $9500 obo

Must be one heck of a CJ to want that kind of money for it. This may be you trouble in selling this jeep. What is the Blue Book on a 79 CJ?

Aftermarket Carb (~500 including install): Is it worthwile for a Jeep I'm selling? I do not see it being a worth while investment if you are going to be selling it. just reduce the price 500.00 to start

Should I/can I just get a cheap tune up? Yes this would not be a bad idea.

For new carbs, which brand is best? All a matter of who you talk to Webber seems to be the Jeep choice for some reason.

Is ~$500 reasonable for carb + install since I won't be doing it myself? I would be in dyer need of the change as in not running befor I would pay that.

- Steam Clean Engine (~$50) I am a big fan of a clean motor! Would help in the sale I am sure.

- Red Spark Plug Wires from 4 Wheel Parts Hardware (~$90): Can I get preassembled ones cheaper someplace else? You could get a ton of plug wire sets from any Auto parts place NAPA or the ZONE or any where with a life time deal for half that price so do so and take the remaining money from the asking price.

- Aftermarket Air Filter (~$60) Not if you are selling it just take another 60.00 off the price.

- Aftermarket Metal Cylinder Cover (~$30) Not if you are selling it just remove clean and paint it and get a new gasket. or leave it as it is. take another 30 bucks off the top.

You do not wnat to do all the work and then ask more nor do you want to set on it for a few more months. Get you heart right and price it in the market. I am sure you can set on it till the MR Right comes along and get a bunch of money for the ol jeep but how long are you willing to wait? Not downing you ride just seems a bit high priced to me. With the money you saved in not doing the mods you can drop the price 750.00 and still be asking a pretty penny for the rig. Think about it. No disrespect ok. Good luck tug

Thanks tug! You're probably right about the price. I've been intending to come down on the price if someone made a viable offer but maybe I'll lower the list price from the start and see what happens.

I'll also reconsider the little upgrades although I do think the engine steam cleaning is a necessity.

I agree the price is too high. I have an 83' CJ and when I bought it it was pretty much stock. Very low milage. How many miles does it have? I think upgrades won't run you very much. I recently upgraded to the weber carb... carb on mine was about $380 and install was $180. not too bad. Pleased with the carb I have on it. Especially now knowing what is involved in overhauling the Jeep you should defenitly lower the price. It looks great, but like all older Jeeps needs work. My advise keep it if you can't get what you want for it. You may never find another CJ is a good shape. Good luck!

wheeling party the weekend after the 6th

why you selling it? I say you drop in a V8, lift it, throw on some 40's and keep it all to yourself! just kidding but good luck on getting it sold!

Back