old CJ5 transmission ?

samelmatt

Hi I am new to the board I have just started to fix up my 66 CJ5 it has a T-86, (very close to the T-90) and the 225 buick v6 I would like to put a 4 speed transmission in it instead of rebuilding the weak T-86. What are my options

Aaaaaamen. Look for a 71-79 CJ for the T-18, maybe kinda hard. Especially look for one from 77-79, because they'll have the granny first. I think it's 6 point something. I think it was in other Jeeps, like FSJ's or something, but I'm not oo sure. The T-176 came in CJ's and Jeep Tucks from 80-86/87 (?). It's a good one, but I'd first look for that T-18. I'm just saying this based on the transmission, I have no idea how they would mate up to your engine and case. Hopefully somebody else can help a bit with that. Happy hunting!

Hey thanks guys, I can't believe it but just today in my newspaper theres a T-18 from a ford truck for 50 bucks, I'm going to go buy it. Hope I can adapt it later, does advanced adapters have a website?

I have the T-18 in my 77 cj5 best transmission every offered in a jeep

Thanks a bunch guys I bought that T-18 but it was out of a ford 2 wheel drive, and I read something about adapting it but sounds like too much trouble, I was reading some of the posts on this board from way back when and I stumbled on hermtheoverdriveguy and I may just buy one of his rebuilt T-90's. Has anyone dealt with him recently? Sounds to me like hes a pretty good guy. If anyone knows of a T-18 from a jeep for sale let me know I would probably buy it.

Unless you get lucky you're going to pay a premium for a CJ version T-18. That 2wd Ford version is the way to go. You would want to rebuild any old T-18 that you find anyway, so at least reconsider getting the adapter and doing the conversion/rebuild on the one that you have. Just my $.02

I believe the Ford version has a lower 1st gear anyway. It has been a while, but I want to say that the Ford T 18 will bolt to your bellhousing. Then you should be able to remove the 2wd tailhousing and replace it with an adapter to the transfer case. This is so old school, I have forgotten how it is done.
Do some research then make a call to Advance.

Back