Oil Change

Soft Top

Changed my oil for the first time myself the other day, did it without even owing a drivers manual. I had a problem with the oil filter though, (98 TJ 4 banger) I couldnt get at it from the bottom, so I took it off from overheard (leaning in over the engine) and it seemed like there was no way to not get oil spilling out of it everywhere, espically on one of the pipes. The other problem was when I took the drain plug out and had the catch pan underneath, but under the pressure the oil squirted way the hell out and missed but at the same time there was a straight line coming down, so I was damned either way to clean up a mess.

for draining...
step 1... take the oil fill cap off
step 2... loosen the drain bolt
step 3... with collecting pan near, back the bolt out, pushing inward, until it is no longer threaded in, but still holding back the oil
step 4... bring collecting pan up near the drain hole while holding bolt still, then quickly move the bolt with your hand out of the oil path
step 5... move the collecting pan to the ground so the oil falls ACROSS the pan into the opposite side, when the oil level falls, it will not shoot so far, and will work its way to the closer side of the pan
step 6... when removing the filter, wrap a plastic bag around it to catch any oil that drains out of it when it comes unscrewed...
step 7... replace plug, filter, oil, and cap

You go girl!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: You are wayyyyyyy more energetic than me. The full service oil change at my local oil spot is much cheaper than I am sure any clumsy attempt and changing it myself would be. I can see it now, my oil change would turn into a three page dialoge on what NOT to do when you change oil. lol Like you, I have never done it or watched it done. That is so cool that you decided to do it though!

I understand the need to know whats going on in there, I am trying to learn too. I try to do all the small mods or be with a mechanic while he is doing them so I can get in there and see whats going on. Luckily I have a cousin or two with their own shops so they don't mind me being all over top of them while they work.

Anyways, great day for laura. Hands Up for da Girlz! :D :D

Lady

OH yea Laura, I meant to tell you. I put the fuse in that bypasses the clutch when starting the JEEP. It's cool, I like it when I remember that I dont' have to push the clutch. lol

Speaking of weddings, my best friend is getting married Friday (halloween). Its my first goth wedding, I'm her best lady. lol SHould be fairly interesting.

Talk soon!

Back