oh god im worried about my old YJ

Jeepster05

I went wheeling today out at a place I had never been and it ended up being really harcore. The trails were so deeply rutted that it was like rock crawling but in mud. I almost flipped my jeep once or twice too. but the problem is my jeep would just stall out of nowhere. It did it on the drive home too. It is also kinda slow and sluggish for some reason. I have no idea what's wrong so I really need some help. I'm really worried that this could be a big fix because I'm flat out broke!!!! I'm really worried so if any of ya have any suggestions or help I would really appreciate it.[addsig]

From what it sounds like, and from my own experiences, you might have gotten water in the intake or distributor cap. If it is that, take out a spark plug and turn it over so the water can get out, and take off the distributor cap clean it out and spray some WD-40 in it. Hopefully its something this simple.[addsig]

I'll try that, ive got nothing to lose now do i hha. could it have something to do w/ my oil pump??? maybe my fuel filter?? This type of thing is new to me since the fixes I usually do are to do w/ the brakes and changing fluids nothing big. I'll do that tonight and see how it runs. thanks[addsig]

sounds like you had fun though - and the important thing to remember is that your trusty little jeep got you back home, and isn't that what it's all about?

if you have a carb, chances are there was crud (rust, sand, goo, ick, etc) in the bowl. when you rolled her to extreme angles (wearing your belt?) that goo may have mixed with your clean fuel and clogged your jet in the carb. if this is the case, only pulling and rebuilding the carb will fix it.

if injected, hmmm, that's another story.

blue[addsig]

Same thing happened to me. After I was doing some hardcore wheelin. It turned out that I was getting oil into the airbox and it was getting sucked into the intake.[addsig]

I spayed in som gumout carb cleaner and set the rpms up a bit and it seemed to be running fine. After i drove it for a mile or two and stopped it would drop down to something like 300 rpms and then go back up to 1100. It also takes a little bit to start. I have no Idea what wrong.[addsig]

Jeepster,

Do you have a carb? I know you said that you used carb cleaner, but that's not conclusive.

blue
[addsig]

ya i have a 4.2 6 cyl so i have a carb not fuel injection. [addsig]

Have you rebuilt this carb? Probably worth the cost/time if she's got high mileage and/or many years on her.

Please let us know what turns out.

blue[addsig]

it's a 90 and its only got around 80k miles on it and i have never rebuilt the carb, im not sure if the guy i bought it from has or hasn't so i guess that will be a weekend job this week.[addsig]

Back