O2 sensor connecting harness

Joopin

Super Moderator
Well I am about to put in my new exhaust this week (Banks) and I had to buy a new O2 sensor because the old one broke off way back. BUT it looks like the harness that goes from the O2 sensor to the engine is messed up too. There is nothing but 4 mauled wires hanging off my engine. Does anyone know where to get a new one? The dealership is giving me a hard time. So if I can' t get a new one, I was wondering if I could go to a junkyard and cut one off and splice it onto mine... is that possible?

Joop

What jeep would you be?

Junk Yard!

Also, I will see if my project jeep has one, If it does and is in good shape, all yours (but don't hold you breath, it had a engine fire.

Hey here's another question, what jeeps have a 4 wire o2 sensor? All wranglers? I could get one from a TJ or CJ...

No O2 sensors on CJ's as far as I know.
Tj's are different too, they have anywhere from 2-4 O2 sensors where YJ's only have one!

If you need to go to Napa and get a water proof 4 pin connector and simply re-wire one in!

Problem solved! What I did was literally ripped a connectin harness off a TJ in the junkyard. Like my brother says, "you only pay for what you can't fit in your pocket" LOL.

Anyway, with that harness, I will just splice it into my YJ wiring. The only catch is I had to buy a TJ O2 Sensor, the down flow one. Theoretically it should work, I put my exhaust on tomorrow!

Thanks for the ideas.

Oh and Ritt, I tried calling those guys, they dont' answer the phone!

JOop

let us konw if that sensor works for ya... you could have just wired the sensor in without a harness too

So I went to the Doctor today.....

Snitty said:
let us konw if that sensor works for ya... you could have just wired the sensor in without a harness too

Yeah I thought about that snitty... but the wires on the O2 sensor are totally different colors and I wouldn't know what goes where.

Last night I put my new banks exhaust on (everything but the header) and I put in the TJ o2 sensor. It seems to be working okay, which is good because only 2 of the 4 wires had matching colors. I guess its a 50% shot then.

What would happen if the O2 sensor was wired in wrong? would I actually notice anything?

BTW the exhaust sounds great, paired with the catco hi flow Cat, hopefully it will give me the extra mpg that I want... the power is there def.!

When are you putting the headers on? I just got my banks header in the mail today and plan on installing them Wednesday so if you get them on before then let me know how they are. I’ve been waiting to fix my golf ball size hole in my manifold for some time now. So it will be nice to hear it a little quieter now.

if you are not throwing codes... then the signal wires must be ok... the other two wires are to heat the sensor... you can actually do without them, so it shouldn't be too bad if they are not hooked right... though it might cause a short, not sure.... but if its still working, and nothing is shorting out, i think you're ok... i think the heat element can be wired either way

Matmadus said:
When are you putting the headers on? I just got my banks header in the mail today and plan on installing them Wednesday so if you get them on before then let me know how they are. I’ve been waiting to fix my golf ball size hole in my manifold for some time now. So it will be nice to hear it a little quieter now.

Well I havn't even bought the header yet. I still can't get around that 400 dollar price tag. I will be installing it sometime though, but it sounds like you are going to get to it before I will. So YOU will have to let ME how it goes :D I was actually thinking it may be easier to put it on when I stroke out the 4.0. Dunno when that will be though.

Snitty, that's great news! But when you say "throwing codes" does that mean I have to have someone hook up a thing to my computer and check it? or will it just show up on the dash with a light or something. Everything seems to be okay right now, and no shorts!

Joop

if you are throwing a code, it will show up in the dash light

307 gears with a dana 44 on a tj?

Snitty said:
if you are throwing a code, it will show up in the dash light

Okay cool, well nothing is lighting up yet... Thanks again snitty

Back