Nutter Bypass!!!

Jeepr89

I performed the nutter bypass tonight at work and let me tell you that it rules and if you haven't done it do it. I thought it would be complicated but follow the instructions and you wont be disapointed. It's like I'm driving a whole new rig :-D
Later Evan[addsig]

HUH what does it do ??? What kinda of jeeps????
Give me some input wahoooooooooo :-D :-D [addsig]

Hello ???? Nutter bypass any web sites on this????

tell me I wanna KNow........................Please... :-D [addsig]

It only works for the older 4.2 carburated jeeps. It bypasses the ignition module and eliminates the computer. It works great. If you do have a jeep that applys it is worth it. I would also recomend a Juice box. This is a higher voltage coil and bigger disributer cap and thicker spark plug wires. :-D [addsig]

Thanks for the info I will have to try it....
any little tricks or tips I should look for????? :-D [addsig]

It's really easy, sorry I didn't reply quicker work has been getting the better of me. What it does is bypass the computer controlled stepper motor on the carb, IT does not bypass the ignition control module, It's easy take the wire loom off follow the wires cut and splice and get the steppermotor in the right place and your good to go. I printed the instructions off the site joopin sited and followed them. It would have gone alot quicker but we didn't have a shop manual and we had to spend a while searching for the ignition control module, luckily after calling one of the mechanics I work with at the station, one of the computers we have told me right where to look and sure enough it was hiding below the washer and coolant overflows. It's great I love it I can now run my 4.2 up to 4,000 rpm which most 4.2 owners now without the bypass is next to impossible. If you have any other questions just ask. Later Evan[addsig]

Thanks a million I will keep you
updated on my findings..... :-D

edited by: jhiggins, Jul 12, 2003 - 03:01 PM[addsig]

my rig had the nutter done to it when I bought it, but the guy had messed it up somehow and it was still affecting the carb, four carbs later and finally back dateing to a non-stepper carb, IT ROCKS. Threw on the duraspark juice box (cap,base,rotor,coil, new plugs,and wires). BLA BLAM! She was hummin. Unfortunately, all those newly attainable RPM's and my 250# foot found that weak vavle and dropped it, but head work is a good thing, valve cover was leaking anyway as usual. 3angle, magnafluxed,shaved just a titch (hehehehe), new cam lifters and timing set. Well you know if it aint one thing it's another. But I have dusted many a stocker type jeeps, and quite a few have been the 4.0's so I would say it works pretty darn good. Course my top end is 70, downhill, with a tailwind, bein towed .............CAMEL[addsig]

I finally did the Nutter Bypass. I had already converted to the TFI upgrade, removed emissions and installed a Weber so the ECM wasn't doing anything. For me it only involved making the disconnect of the orange and purple wires at the ECM and routing directly to the ignition module. The problem that I encountered was a plug at the module that omitted the purple wire. I did not want to cut off the connector and run 4 spade connectors to the module so I solved my problem this way.
(Note: When I say module connector I do not mean the connector at the end of the ignition module, I am referring to the connector that it plugs into - part of the wiring harness.)
I spliced my orange and purple wires near the ECM where I had cut them and ran new orange and purple wires to the connector for the module. I cut the orange wire at the module connector and spiced the new orange wire there. Now if you look at the connector it has a spot for the purple wire but nothing is there. I took a small screwdriver and worked my way through the connector to where the spade should be. I then took a larger screwdriver and worked it through from front to back. Then I used the screwdriver to keep an opening in the connector as I worked the purple wire through. Once the purple wire was through I put a spade connector on the end and forced it back down into the module connector. Put some dielectric grease on it, plugged it into the module and it's like a factory connection. So if I have to change the module out its one plug and no big deal - keeps it clean, too.
Others may have done the same thing but I have never seen it mentioned. Thought I would share tip that has worked out well for me.

Scott

No matter where you go, there you are.

[addsig]

Back