NO balls

keepkool

I recently purchased a a 1995 jeep jy 6cy 5 sp. with 33x12 .For around town its great but on the highway I cant get it to go over 60 mph. the jeep will not rev over 2200 rmp in 5th gear. any help where to start. thanks kevin

You might want to look into re-gearing the differentials. You might also want to look into the condition of the exhaust system and air intake. Those are a few common things that will give it that extra little power it needs.

soft top for a 84 cj

i've heard stories about some that have... but not sure if i believe it

HaHa, I didn't know they could go over 45mph!! Mine sure couldn't.

:? You guys are full of it! :lol:

There sure are alot of power output complaints on this board. Here's a tip: The gas pedal WILL go all the way down if you push a little harder, and ignore what grandma told you......it's okay to rev it past 2500 rpm :roll:

Keepkool, you've got to have something wrong. That combo should push 33s alot faster than that, even if you have a crappy gear ratio.

No dude, Mine was extremely slow!!! With the 33's on, the fastest I ever got to was 45 going down a hill on the freeway. With the 31's, I could only go 50mph (down hills as well).

It had problems though!!

91 YJ oil pressure problem

88Wrangles said:
No dude, Mine was extremely slow!!! With the 33's on, the fastest I ever got to was 45 going down a hill on the freeway. With the 31's, I could only go 50mph (down hills as well).

It had problems though!!

I'd say it did. My YJ did 80 MPH with a 2.5L, stock gears (4.10), and 32" tires. It didn't get up to that speed quickly, but it would do it pretty easily.

just figure 5th gear is pretty much a distant memory, 4th is your occasional friend... since i put the 33's on my 4.2, 3rd is the choice for normal in town, 4th if i'm over 50 mph... if i remember right, b/4 the tire swap, 65 was around 2500 rpm in 5th... re-gear or adjust... (i'm gettin ready to regear mine...)

It's likely you've got 3.07 axle gears in that '95 4.0L 5spd YJ, a combo that really sucks with oversized tires. Regear to 4.11 or even 4.56 if you want low, and you'll get that power curve back. Otherwise shift later.

And I'd take you on with my 2.5L 5spd YJ with 33" swampers and stock axle gears, I can cruise a lot faster than that :shock:

My YJ has no problem gettin up to 65 and 70, its kinda slow gettin there but it'll do it. at 70 its pushin 2000 rpm but still runs good.

LR

Scrambler Wiring Diagrams

Time out. We're all looking at the problem wrong. He's got 33's. I bet the speedometer gear was never replaced. Keepkool, you're probably doing about 80, but your speedometer is only reading 60. To fix that, you can re-gear you speedometer ($10 mod), or you can regear you axles ($1000 mod, if you don't do it yourself). The latter is the proper fix and will definitely be worth it, but it's costly, as you can see. To verify your actual speed, have one of your friends with an unmodified vehicle drvie in front of you and you follow him. Tell him to hit 60mph and hold steady. Then you'll see that 60 on his speedometer looks like 45 on yours. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Basically, your 4.0 shouldn't be going that slow, even with 33's unless you've got other problems (like a plugged catalytic converter). But if you can get up to 3500 or 4000 rpms in other gears, you don't have cat problems.

corey

WOW , I didnt think I would get so much response. I have checked and found gears have not been changed and speedo is about 10% off. I checked the exust and found starting to rot, so thats got to be changed. thanks for the help.

yea ive got a 2.5 and i can pull 70 all day on my 35 inch mud rovers in 5th gear

My 94 YJ 2.5 Liter will still do 80mph with 31x10's on it....all I've done is pull the air restrictor out of the intake tube......

MY 94 YJ with 33's 4.0 5spd and the dreaded 307's will cruise at 70 with 5th gear, but should I come up to a small grade, gotta hit 4th!

Back