No 4wd and binding steering

cptdan

Two different problems. I have a 1995 YJ stock my steering wheel is starting to bind (I have power steering). It does not return to center like it use to and you have to force it to turn both left and right. I greased the heck out of it and no help. Basicaly what I'm asking is it the linkage or the the steering box (How do you tell)? Second my front wheels don't engage when I select 4wd, I get the idiot light but no 4wd. Last time I used it was in August and it worked great. The funny thing is 3 of us had the same problem and of of them has a TJ (we had a nice snow storm). I have good suction at the shift motor and the transfer case engages. I plan on taking the shift motor out but what am I looking for (Haynes manual dosen't get that far involved)?

hmm.. if the 4x4 light is coming on, then the shift fork is moving somewhat.. but possibly not far enough... if you take the fork out.... clean the ports with WD... let it soak in there and make sure it is dry and free from ANY water or moisture at all... ice can get in there and cause things not to want to move like they should

The vacuum shift motor on the front axle often gets moisture in there, which may not affect anything until it turns real cold, then the pass. side axle shaft won't engage.

Take the vacuum shift motor off and work the shift fork back and forth by hand, while spraying WD40 in the vacuum ports and around the shift fork shaft. Don't use PB BLaster, it's a penetrant and WD40 is for 'Water Displacement".

Reinstall and it should work fine.

Check the tierod and trackbar while a buddy turns the steering wheel, maybe this'll help you find the binding. Could you have hit something onroad or off that bent the tierod into the axle? I had it happened and used the winch and snatch block to straighten it out.

Thanks a lot, you guys are great. Got my 4WD back and fixed my buddies too (same problem). The TJ works now but no idiot light, I think its a burnt out light bulb (the switch works as advertised).
As for my steering it's still a mystery. We didn't find any binding in the linkage, I disconected the pitman to check the steering box still no binding. We had a few warm days this past week and I noticed the binding had almost dissapeared. This morning it was in the 20's and the binding came back. I'm thinking it's the power steering pump but it dosen't make sense (Dosen't power steering fluid warm up like engine oil after a while?).

Stop driving that Jeep right away! If it's binding, there is a REAL chance that it could lock up on you. Figure it out and fix it before you drive it anymore.

I'll take that advice Junkpile, yesterday was the worst yet. I almost lost it turning into my driveway, I had to use some serious force to straighten her out (I thought I was going to rip the steering wheel off). I'll be ordering all the tie rods and ball joints and anything else moves under there. After this project I'll probably be able to help other fellow jeepers with the same type of problems. I'll keep you guys posted and hopefuly find the culprit behind this problem.

The power steering fluid should warm as the pump turns. Sounds like the power steering pump is cavitating with the cold oil. That sends air pockets into the pump. Drain the fluid by taking loose the return (lower hose) line and put some fresh stuff in there. That may help the problem.

Back